Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dumb question -- any ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dumb-question-any-ideas-t202164.html)

rush88888 10-02-2012 10:21 PM

i know what you mean. i did a mystery quilt once, and i experienced a level of anxiety the whole time. there were people who sewed faster than i did, and i avoided looking at them so i could experience my own first. i am not so sure i would do another mystery quilt with or without a group. it is just too anxiety-provoking and not worth it. heck...making a quilt where i know what the outcome is supposed to be is anxiety-provoking enough! best wishes in whatever you decide is best for you.

QuiltingCrazie 10-02-2012 10:28 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb and say it's a string quilt. Until the interfacing I really thought a reversible. I'm like you I like a clear direction on a mystery I like controlled scrappy. I'm doing a scrappy right now as part of a guild project and still find myself controlling it.....25 2 1/2" squares blocks of 5x5 and mine are 1 block is a bright block, 1 is country and so on I just cant put lime frogs with a homespun....I know I'm weird lol Good luck!!!

JustAbitCrazy 10-02-2012 11:38 PM

I think in quilting there's something for everyone, and I just don't think mystery quilts are your "thing". No big deal. Just accept that it's not what you prefer to do, and don't participate. Life is short. Spend it doing what you enjoy, and don't beat yourself up over the fact that you don't enjoy it. No matter what you're considering, there's always someone who doesn't like to do that particular thing.
On the other hand, it is true that sometimes we just have to try something we don't want to do, because that's how we learn and grow. You may be pleasantly surprised if you can let go and try it. But if you've already tried mystery quilts and already know it's just not for you, let it go, don't participate, and move on to what you do enjoy, guilt free.

Gladys 10-03-2012 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma (Post 5558447)
Sounds to me like this is a great exercise in "letting go"!

Sounds like they didn't tell you what colors to pick....just start with colors you like (separately and together) and see what happens!

What's the worst that could happen? You'll have something to donate to charity when you're done, or find a friend who loves it.

What's the best that could happen? You'll have fun, learn something new (about quilting and/or about yourself), maybe even discover a new "flavor" in your taste for what goes with what!

I say just go for it...no worries, no regrets. :)

Knowing that it's a not easy to let go, I'd really follow Sewnoma's advice and pick the colors you like. Good luck and keep us posted.

NJ Quilter 10-03-2012 02:01 AM

I've so enjoyed reading this thread. I thought I was the only person on this board who was not a fan of 'scrappy'! Nice to know others are right there with me. I've not done a mystery quilt. A friend did one a number of years ago and I was not impressed with the concept (I was a complete newbie at the time). I might be able to go there now but I'd have to know the requirements for the entire project vs. a month/block at a time thing.

barri1 10-03-2012 02:34 AM

I Love scrappy, and don't have a clue how to read the instructions.

alleyoop1 10-03-2012 04:18 AM

Perhaps the white with the corners marked will become a 'snow ball' block that is surrounded with strips? That is all I can come up with by your description.

HillCountryGal 10-03-2012 04:33 AM

Would bet most of us are 'visual' learners. That's why it might be uncomfortable to not know exactly what the pattern will look like.

You have to decide if you even want to participate. It might be a good learning experience... OR, torture. Your decision.

I don't have a clue what the pattern/instructions will produce. I'm one of those visual learners! :cool:

PaperPrincess 10-03-2012 05:02 AM

I agree. I like CONTROLLED scrappy! Here are some alternatives that have occured to me. The list of materials is intriguing, so look at the construction of the block as a class in a new technique and the $ spent on the fabric is the class fee. Get kids' fabric and donate whatever you come up with to charity. OR, they must have told you how many large squares to bring. jUst bring one and divide the rest of the materials by that number. In other words, just bring enough for one block to learn the technique. There always seems to be one or two members who fall behind time-wise, with your spare time, you can help them by pinning, sewing etc.

DebbE 10-03-2012 05:33 AM

I feel your pain - I won't join that type of group for the same reason. I like to see the end result as it affects my choices at the beginning....I'm a planner. At the same time, I love scrappy quilts, but again, I plan out what goes where, but adore using up the scraps....