Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Dumb question -- any ideas? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/dumb-question-any-ideas-t202164.html)

ghostrider 10-03-2012 05:20 PM

Is someone forcing you to do this project? Sounds like you are refusing to get any pleasure out of it at all even if it sneaks up on you and worse yet, may actually be making it hard for others in the group to enjoy as well. Just walk away from the whole thing and do something you aren't so opposed to until they are done with this activity.

Debbie C 10-03-2012 06:29 PM

Draggin, I think I'd find another group!! lol!! I mean, what do they expect of you? I'm completely lost!

GrannieAnnie 10-03-2012 07:40 PM

"WOF x at least 22 inches."

I got hung up on the first line. WOF and 22 inches long??????????????

GrannieAnnie 10-03-2012 07:46 PM

Having never been involved with a mystery quilt--------------I have a very dumb question to ask. Are you supposed to be piecing something as homework-------------or just getting your supplies in order?

sandy l 10-04-2012 03:07 AM

I think I would just pass on it, and go have some chocolate:)

MimiBug123 10-04-2012 03:54 AM

I'm not into mystery either! If I put the time, money and effort into something, I want to know that I'm going to like it when it's finished. That being said, sometimes it's fun to step out of your box and go with the flow. I would simply make sure that the colors I chose will be some of my favorites! I figure if I like the fabrics together, I'll like the finished block.

Aurora 10-04-2012 04:09 AM

Quilting is one part of my life where I have learned to "let go". I will not love everything I make, but there will always be someone who does. I was not real crazy about my Jelly Roll 1600, but I will finish it and either donate it or find a creative way to use.

I did my first Mystery Quilt this year and had a great time, even though others completed steps days/weeks ahead of me, I looked at theirs, and enjoyed their color choices and was anxious to see my results. My piecing skills improved and I learned alot about fabric color choices. It was a great learning experience and I actually love the final result.

Both experiences have given me the courage to step outside my comfort zone occasionally. It can be lots of fun, it is after all just fabric and thread.

MissQuilter 10-04-2012 06:18 AM

I have a certain sort of work I do that is totally my choice as a quilter. Sometimes I force myself to leave my comfort zone and do something completely different as I think it is good for me and good for skill building.

These groups that have mystery projects may not be your usual "thing" but they are such fun, like a scavenger hunt. It is OK to sometimes allow yourself to give control to someone else and just be along for the ride. It is an interesting experience and if you do not like it, then do not participate in the future.

My group has done a quilt where one person made a center panel. Then it was passed around to others to add border after border. The results were beautiful and fascinating. Some were probably not what the panel maker would have chosen, but the results were wonderful. Now we are doing a "pizza box" quilt. Each box has a theme and the box is passed to another quilter each month. Eventually there will be 12 blocks with a theme and one focus fabric. Then each person in the group will receive a box.

Sometimes not having total control is good, lots of fun and definitely interesting. Enjoy your group. My group is the Red Hot Friday Night Strippers!

Quote: I belong to a quilting group that although filled with wonderful ladies, it could use some serious organization and planning, at least in my opinion.

Our group is supposed to work on homework for our next meeting. Apparently it is a major secret what the project is going to be. I'm not confident in my ability to use good judgement in placing values/scales/colors in quilt blocks when I don't have a clue what the heck I'm supposed to be making. Yep, I'm one of those who doesn't like secrecy or mystery unless I'm reading a book or watching TV. I like to see the ending from the beginning so I have a clue of what to aim for. ;)

barny 10-04-2012 07:09 AM

Could you be making some sort of Cathedral Windows?

GrannyFitz4 10-04-2012 07:39 AM

This sounds interesting. I like mystery quilts. I admit I have not always been sucessful in choosing colors. Please post when you finish the block.