Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Easy Binding Winder (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/easy-binding-winder-t269695.html)

Friday1961 09-08-2015 09:53 AM

My binding goes in my lap while I sew it on. I do see that for a king size quilt, one might need a more organized way of handling it, but I know nothing about these winders.

TexasSunshine 09-08-2015 03:49 PM

I wrap my binding around an empty paper towel roll, place it on a vertical paper towel holder, sit it on the floor to my right and it comes off easily as I sew it to the quilt.

rocklady 09-08-2015 05:44 PM

When I have a big quilt to bind, I'll drop it in an ice cream pail as I iron it in half. Then I can set the pail beside me to sew.

GloriaC 09-08-2015 06:42 PM

I put mine in a plastic pail (the ones I buy strawberries in when in season) then I use a command hook and hang it on the wall next to my machine. Don't roll it up or anything just dump it into the basket. Comes out easily and works like a charm.

ukdame 09-08-2015 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by franc36 (Post 7310923)
I read about that here, too. That is what I do and it works well for me. I do use a stiffer core than that on toilet paper.

It sounds like a very workable way to do it but I had to chuckle as I was wondering how to explain it if one of my neighbors rang the doorbell- ha!

ukdame 09-08-2015 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by mme3924 (Post 7311148)
My binding goes in my lap while I sew it on. I do see that for a king size quilt, one might need a more organized way of handling it, but I know nothing about these winders.

This is what I do right now as nothing allowed on my floor as I have a kitty and it would be play material immediately. When I iron for double binding I toss it over my shoulder to avoid it resting on the floor. I hand wind and rubber band it until I need it.

Marley46 09-08-2015 10:37 PM

I start sewing about 1 inch, then throw the binding over my right shoulder and just pull it down as I sew. Works for me!!

ruby2shoes 09-09-2015 02:45 AM

I roll my binding up and put it inside a round 500gm margarine container or food take away container. I have cut a slot in the side of it. I put the lid on and then I can dump it on the floor or my lap. The binding feeds out of the slot I cut. Keeps it dog hair free and manageable.

jeanne49 09-09-2015 03:43 AM

I use empty toilet paper rolls and place it in a box on the floor by my feet. I did purchase in the clearance bin at JoAnns a set of 2 binding rollers but have never used them. Guess I'll have to try them out someday

TheGadgetMan 01-19-2016 08:17 AM

That's the reason we created the Easy Binding Winder, so you don't have to fuss with the twisting. Instead you wind it onto the spool as you press your binding. Also, many of our customers have commented how they don't have to bother pinning it down anymore because it feeds right onto their quilt so easily.