Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Which Eleanor Burns book to buy? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eleanor-burns-book-buy-t151365.html)

LadybugPam 09-08-2011 02:20 PM

I love love love Eleanor Burns! She is my hero. I took a class as a beginner in 1993 using her Trio of Treasures book to make the Bear Claw. All of her books are wonderful. I am not crazy about the patterns - not enough information for beginners.
Irish Chain is probably the best 3 color quilt you can make. Log Cabin is second - and good practice to keep the seams at 1/4"

Ceil 09-08-2011 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by LadybugPam
I love love love Eleanor Burns! She is my hero. I took a class as a beginner in 1993 using her Trio of Treasures book to make the Bear Claw. All of her books are wonderful. I am not crazy about the patterns - not enough information for beginners.
Irish Chain is probably the best 3 color quilt you can make. Log Cabin is second - and good practice to keep the seams at 1/4"

Are you saying that her patterns don't give enough information for beginners? I thought that she was the one author who took you step by step through the process and that is why I wanted to get one of her books as a "how to quilt". I have bought books that others recommend and find that they don't give step by step directions. Is there anyone who does this?

bgullett 09-08-2011 04:36 PM

Love lots of her books. Favorite and have it several times is a log cabin book.

bgullett 09-08-2011 04:38 PM

Love lots of her books. Favorite and have it several times is a log cabin book.

madamekelly 09-08-2011 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Ceil

Originally Posted by LadybugPam

Are you saying that her patterns don't give enough information for beginners? I thought that she was the one author who took you step by step through the process and that is why I wanted to get one of her books as a "how to quilt". I have bought books that others recommend and find that they don't give step by step directions. Is there anyone who does this?

They were step by step enough in "Irish Chain" for me to make my first quilt, and I have a brain injury. I would be honored to answer questions if you need help.

Lyncat 09-08-2011 07:49 PM

It's El-ementary is wonderful with step-by-step directions and pictures for each step in making really cute squares. Very easy to follow. I love it.

sewNso 09-09-2011 04:51 AM

the very lst quilt i made when i started quilting again and doing rotary cutting was eleanor burns single irish chain. it's quick, easy, and gets a project done in a real short time. so you can see what you accomplised. IRISH CHAIN for sure.

easy step by step directions in it. a REAL beginner can do it. i am always suggesting this book to people who want to start quilting.

Krystyna 09-09-2011 05:00 AM

I have Quilting with Confidence and it is really a good one for a beginner.

Izaquilter 09-09-2011 05:23 AM

I love Nana's Garden. Don't know if it's still available but it was very easy & very quick. you can see progress quickly & use scraps too

kittycats 09-09-2011 05:30 AM

I have some of her books. I like the easy to follow directions and her quilts. I especially like "Quilts thru the Seasons". Lots of different quilts to make.