Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Embroidery thread. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/embroidery-thread-t31613.html)

happy sewer 12-15-2009 07:00 AM

Hi everyone. I would love to know if any of you purchased embroidery thread from ebay? Is it good thread ? And who did you purchase from? I am also interested in buying pes cards that will fit a brother 8200 upgraded to a 8500. I bought an used one from a friend. Never did embroidery before. So treat me as a dummie. lol. Merry Christmas to everyone. And God Bless.

Rachel 12-15-2009 07:16 AM

I have purchased embroidery thread from Ebay, but I had some trouble with breaking thread. I slowed down the motor and its fine for small jobs (like if I'm gonna embroider someone's name on something), but I wouldn't use it for detailed designs. I really like Isacord thread (Bernina dealers sell it). If you're going to purchase a lot of it, you can go to threadetc.com. Its considerably cheaper, although you have to buy several spools since shipping is a little outrageous.

Quilter2B 12-15-2009 08:03 AM

I am new to machine embroidery and I bought some "Royal" thread on ebay (thankfully not a big lot but just enough to experiment with). I've used it on text and a couple of christmas designs; I have to run at about 1/3 speed or it breaks constantly. Maybe Santa will bring me some Isacord . . .

Jim's Gem 12-15-2009 12:26 PM

I have purchased some Isacord thread on e-bay. They were re-wound small spools form someone who has an embroidery business. I liked the fact that I got 150 different colors for only $120. It is great quality thread.

Buying on e-bay can be tricky, but fortunately I have only done very well so far!!

amma 12-15-2009 01:25 PM

Some machines like a particular brand of thread better than others. I would suggest buying a couple and seeing what works or doesn't on yours...:wink:

Maride 12-15-2009 01:30 PM

I use Thread Art on my Brother machine without a problem. The only times I have any thread breaking is when I change stabilizer. If I use tear away I have no breakage.

Maria

MadQuilter 12-15-2009 07:55 PM

I purchased thread (not embroidery though) from ebay and it was crap. If I had to do it again, I would stick to name brand only. Then ebay is a good place to go.

nursie76 12-15-2009 07:58 PM

I have purchased several lots of Isacord on Ebay and I have had no problems with it. I agree...stick with the name brands. My Bernina seems to like the Isacord the best, but Gutterman and Mettler seem to work as well.

ButtercreamCakeArtist 12-15-2009 08:14 PM

My Brother doesn't seem to like Rayon thread. It usually does pretty well with polyester, but I have this one spool that just doesn't work well with the machine. It (the top spool) all winds up around the lower bobbin, then gets tangled up in the craziest places and in the feed dogs. If not caught almost immediately, it pulls the bobbin up and out of the case and pops the design out of the stabilizer! One bobbin looked like a mad dog tried to eat it! :(

SO, my answer to your question is to try several different brands at first to see what your machine likes. Then, go shopping on eBay for that particular brand.

SulaBug 12-16-2009 01:45 AM

My preferance is the Guterman brand, from Germany. My Brother machine likes it a lot!! :thumbup:
:D :D :D :D