Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   EQ7/EQ8 Tips, Q&A here! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eq7-eq8-tips-q-here-t295451.html)

retired2pa 04-14-2024 06:26 AM

I didn't know the blocks were in the book. Thanks. I would assume you just measure the pieces in the blocks and add 1/4" or so???

retired2pa 04-14-2024 08:22 AM

One last question on DJ. I think I'll skip the software and get the book. I can do my own measuring, right?

My question is: which book do I get? I see there's a "newer version" released in 2021 with a blue cover and the yellow book was released much earlier. What's the difference?

lindadee 04-14-2024 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by retired2pa (Post 8645148)
I didn't know the blocks were in the book. Thanks. I would assume you just measure the pieces in the blocks and add 1/4" or so???

I approached this the same way I do any pieced block - I traced it out on freezer paper, then cut the block apart for the templates. You add your seam allowance to those templates. Or, as I usually do - trace around the templates onto my fabric and then add seam allowance. I hope this was clear and helpful :)
Linda in Iowa

lindadee 04-14-2024 11:41 AM

Hi, Colleen :) I have the original book by Brenda Manges Papadakis, so I am not sure what the story is with a different one. I believe this is the one I have: Dear Jane The 225 Patterns From The 1863 Jane A Stickle Quilt ~ 1996 Copy | eBay
I am not sure what you mean by "I can do my own measuring, right?" Sorry if I'm being dense :)
I was trying to add a picture of my Dear Jane, but can't seem to figure it out. As you can tell, I'm an idiot when it comes to technology LOL :)

lindadee 04-14-2024 11:52 AM

Finished the Binding on Dear Jane | Linda's Joy of Quilting (lindasjoyofquilting.blogspot.com)
This is a picture of my Dear Jane that I posted to my old blog back in the day when I was still blogging LOL :)

eparys 04-15-2024 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by lindadee (Post 8645189)
Finished the Binding on Dear Jane | Linda's Joy of Quilting (lindasjoyofquilting.blogspot.com)
This is a picture of my Dear Jane that I posted to my old blog back in the day when I was still blogging LOL :)

That is just gorgeous - lindadee!! What a finish.

I am still in the planning stages. It looks like you followed the original in your fabric colors. I will more than likely use the software as I want to enlarge the quilt but retain the look so my blocks will more than likely be larger than the 4.5.

lindadee 04-15-2024 04:49 AM

Thank you for your kind words :) Making Dear Jane was an interesting journey. One I'm glad I took :)

retired2pa 04-15-2024 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by lindadee (Post 8645185)
I approached this the same way I do any pieced block - I traced it out on freezer paper, then cut the block apart for the templates. You add your seam allowance to those templates. Or, as I usually do - trace around the templates onto my fabric and then add seam allowance. I hope this was clear and helpful :)
Linda in Iowa

Yes, thank you :)

retired2pa 04-15-2024 08:37 AM

(I am not sure what you mean by "I can do my own measuring, right?" Sorry if I'm being dense :)
I was trying to add a picture of my Dear Jane, but can't seem to figure it out. As you can tell, I'm an idiot when it comes to technology LOL :)[/QUOTE]

I think I know what the difference is in the books. The blue cover is the 25th Anniversary Edition.

I was thinking I'd have to measure all the pieces in a block so I could do FPP. DUH. I just need to trace and add 1/4" for seam allowance.

lindadee 04-15-2024 09:17 AM

You told me something I didn't know - that the Dear Jane book was reissued :) I'm glad to hear that because it's a classic.