Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Erik's Dinosaur Quilt. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/eriks-dinosaur-quilt-t14392.html)

Bill'sBonBon 12-13-2008 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by sewsewquilter
You did a wonderful quilt to meet your great grandsons request. He is going to be over the moon.

Izy wrote:
I have just been reading up about using crayons to draw on the fabric, then you iron it to set the colour, is this how you made yours??

Bill'sBonBon wrote:
Yes Izy that is how I made it. It is somewhat time consuming and the colors are Brighter on white muslim. I am now sandwiching another G.Grd.Daughter,4yr.old Keyli's quilt of TinkerBell & fairies and Pixies. I will post when done. I also outlined the dinos with Black thread. It made them standout almost 3d.

I'm I reading this correctly? You drew a picture on fabric with crayons, then ironed it to set it into the fabric.?

That is so neat!

yes, Actually I printed out Dino color sheets from the internet. Then traced the pictures on the material using a pigma pen. Ironed them to set the ink. First coloring was on a soft pad. Second coloring and sometimes 3rd,was done with a sheet of sandpaper underneath. After each coloring either wax paper or white copy paper is used over picture and ironed. The heat picks up the wax and leaves the color. It amazed me how brillant the color was.

BillsBonBon

Dawn Hendrix 12-13-2008 06:43 PM

WOW.. that is really neat now that you explained it!!!

Imagine your grandkids coloring and then making a quilt out of there coloring... ooo my wheels are spinning AGAIN!!

Kyiav10 12-13-2008 06:59 PM

Great quilt!!! He will love it.

Kyia

sewnsewer2 12-13-2008 10:11 PM

OMG, he's gonna love it. Fabulous job!!

kd124 12-13-2008 11:02 PM

Lucky young man. I is an awesome quilt!! :-) :-)

Celeste 12-14-2008 12:55 AM

This is fabulous!!!!!!!!

mary quite contrary 12-14-2008 05:07 AM

That turned out really nice. I've heard of this technique but I have never trusted it to be durable. I may have to try that idea after seeing how nice yours turned out.

Bevanger 12-14-2008 06:18 AM

wow! that turned out awesome.... He's gonna love it :D

Bill'sBonBon 12-14-2008 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by mary quite contrary
That turned out really nice. I've heard of this technique but I have never trusted it to be durable. I may have to try that idea after seeing how nice yours turned out.

Mary, I don't know how long it will last either. :? After researching on the NET, Some said it withstood hot water and hot drying. :?: Don't know, But it was amazingly simple to do. It also gave him what he ask for. :D So if it lasts in color for however long it was worth it to me. :D

That is one reason I outlined each dino in Black Thread. It was very easy to do. I left the feed dogs up, Put my PresserFoot on zero, Had more control with the feeddogs up and moved the quilt where I wanted it to to outline all of those little paws,claws feathers.
I want to start free motion quilting and this will give me practise on moving hands with the machine helping with feeddogs still up. Does that make sense, I believe it does,seems like it to me :lol:

I have told the moms and I will include care instructions as a reminder, to only wash in cold water and tumble air dry or hang it on a line,or anywhere it can be layed to dry.
I am going to make a small wall size after Christmas and wash it in hot water and dry in a hot dryer a lot just as an experiment, then I will know for sure. :lol: :lol:
Bill'sBonBon

Izy 12-14-2008 10:26 AM

Well worse case senario and it fades.....the kids can always have fun colouring it back in again :lol: :D