Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Estate sale find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/estate-sale-find-t222454.html)

OneMoreQuilt 05-28-2013 02:16 PM

Please do not wash them until after they are quilted. If the smell is horrible, air them out in the sun for awhile so the quilter can tolerate the smell. Great find BTW!

ube quilting 05-28-2013 02:26 PM

Smoke has an oily residue that has to be removed for the smell to go away. Post pics' of them. They may be able to be soaked in a Retaine bath to set any dye, press excess water out and laid out to dry, pressed (iron), quilted and then washed again.

Best to let an expert look at them first.
peace

MadQuilter 05-28-2013 02:33 PM

I washed a top that came from my MIL's stash. It was disgusting and I felt I had to wash it. OMG - what a mess that created. Even without agitation, all the seams are frayed and the whole top looks horrible. I will have to spend A LOT of time pressing it back into shape.

nygal 05-28-2013 02:57 PM

Lets see pictures!!

QuiltnNan 05-28-2013 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin (Post 6090581)
Put the tops in a bag with an open bag of BBQ charcoal and seal, that stuff works wonders. I just bought two tops at a yard sale and I washed them with the color blockers and they came out great.

this is what i would suggest, too

nanacc 05-28-2013 04:53 PM

I have had good luck with simple vinegar. I placed hot, steaming containers of vinegar in a combine my DH bought from a smoker. If you could place them on a sweater drying rack over a tub with hot vinegar water, it might be effective.

serenitybygrace 05-28-2013 05:06 PM

I would also say do not wash the tops before they are quilted.
When you do wash them, you might try a product called "Smells Begone". It says on the bottle that it is "Non-Toxic, Non Staining, and Non Flammable"..That it can be sprayed on any odor source. However, it does say to test fabric for color fastness before using. It is a product of Punati Chemical Corp. www.smellsbegone.com or 1-800-645-2882.
I have no connection with this company, nor does any of my family or friends. It has helped me for a number of years to deal with fragrances and odors.

JustAbitCrazy 05-28-2013 05:52 PM

This would probably work to get the smell out, because a long time ago I got the smell of cat pee out of an article of clothing by soaking in the washing machine in warm water with about a half gallon of vinegar added to it. Then I added laundry soap and actually washed it that way. After the rinse cycle the clothes smelled like vinegar, but then I did a normal wash cycle with laundry soap and no more vinegar, and all was well after that.

Originally Posted by nanacc (Post 6090999)
I have had good luck with simple vinegar. I placed hot, steaming containers of vinegar in a combine my DH bought from a smoker. If you could place them on a sweater drying rack over a tub with hot vinegar water, it might be effective.

dunster 05-28-2013 06:03 PM

I agree with those that said not to wash the tops before they're quilted. Try the charcoal, baking soda, anything to lessen the smell.

Debbie C 05-29-2013 03:20 AM

I would soak them in a sink overnight in Oxi-Clean....that stuff is AMAZING!