Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Estate sale find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/estate-sale-find-t222454.html)

mimmy96 05-29-2013 09:10 AM

I would spray them with White vinegar ... I am very allergic to smoke and have had to get smoke smell out of a lot of things since I love yard sales!!! lol... put some in a spray bottle and hang them on the clothes line for a few days!

PolkaBabe 05-29-2013 09:30 AM

One could spray with febreeze, you may have to do it a time or two. At least that way you don't have to wash them until they are quilted....

carolynjo 05-29-2013 01:29 PM

Whatever you do, DO NOT wash them until they are quilted. They will ravel and come apart and you will have ruined them. I would spray the tops with Febreeze and close the, individually, in a large plastic zipper bag. Let stay overnight and then air them out. Charcoal is another good suggestion.

nananurse 05-29-2013 05:27 PM

Charcoal briquettes without the starter fluid on them work well too. Layer briquettes in the bottom of a box and cover with a piece of tissue paper (like for wrapping gifts) to prevent getting the charcoal on the tops and put the lid on and wait. I did this with a top that reeked of moth balls and it worked.

oldtisme 05-29-2013 07:24 PM

I had seen on here that it was Safe Guard bar soap to use.

Scissor Queen 05-29-2013 08:20 PM

I have used Dial and Safeguard deodorant soaps to take the smell of cigarette smoke out of several things. I bough two bolts of a fusible interfacing from an auction that reeked. I put the two bolts in a big trash bag and threw a bar of unwrapped soap in. It took about a month but the smell went away. My girlfriend used to build doll houses and they reeked because she smoked. I tented the doll house and put a couple of bars of unwrapped soap in it. It took the smell out in about two weeks. Patience is the key. You have to leave it sealed up long enough for it to work but it will work. No fraying, no sun damage, no added chemicals.

athenascooter 05-30-2013 03:35 AM

Why not use the home dry cleaning Dryel. It seems to take the smell out of clothing and can be used on fabrics that are not to be washed. You would put the tops in the bag that comes with it and put a sheet of Dryel in and put in the dryer for 30 minutes.

GrannieAnnie 05-30-2013 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by imp2cin (Post 6090557)
I purchased 8 quilt tops from an estate sale for $3 each! Unfortunately they smell of cigarette smoke. I need help on how to get the smoke smell out of them. The material was not prewashed. Should I wash them now or wait til they have been quilted. How can I keep the colors from fading? Any advice?

My standard reply-----------soak them in the tub with a generous amount of Oxy-clean (generic is cheaper). Rinse well, then do another Oxy-clean soak. Repeat until smoke smell is gone. Just slosh in tub by hand.

GrannieAnnie 05-30-2013 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by quiltin-nannie (Post 6091898)
Skin So Soft, not sure how safe for fabrics though.

This old gal can't handle the Skin So Soft smell. Worse than the cigarette smell.

Linda Loo 05-30-2013 06:17 AM

Several things absorb even the worst odors. Newspaper, charcoal, baking soda & ground coffee are some of my favorite. I would seal tops in plastic bags with one or several of these and leave for a day or so. If the odors aren't completely gone by then, I think I'd try another of these (or combo) for another day or so. I once deodorized a horrible used Lincoln Continental with piles and piles of wadded up news paper and coffee. The previous owner was a continual cigar smoker! I NEVER smelled anything so awful! After two days it was fine.