Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Estate sale find (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/estate-sale-find-t222454.html)

piepatch 05-29-2013 03:21 AM

I would lay them outside, out of the sun, maybe even for a few days, until the smell is gone. I did that once with some quilt tops and fabrics that were given to me, and it worked pretty well. I had the tops quilted, and washed them AFTER they were quilted. I would not wash the tops before quilting!

grannie cheechee 05-29-2013 03:33 AM

Put quilt top in a trash bag big enough to hold it, place a bar of Dial Gold soap in tissiue paper,place in the bag, and tie up tight. Wait a few days and the smoke smell be gone. It has to be the Dial Gold bar.

Jean45 05-29-2013 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by imp2cin (Post 6090557)
I purchased 8 quilt tops from an estate sale for $3 each! Unfortunately they smell of cigarette smoke. I need help on how to get the smoke smell out of them. The material was not prewashed. Should I wash them now or wait til they have been quilted. How can I keep the colors from fading? Any advice?

OdoBan. You can get it at Home Depot and sometimes at Lowe's. I think at Sam's also. It is for the sick room, pet odors, almost anything. I have used it for those and it works really well. If you are concerned about colors fading I would be hesitant to finish it and get it quilted and find it faded/bled. It is bad enough to have that happen when you had no idea that would happen.

quiltinghere 05-29-2013 05:35 AM

I would NOT WASH them before they are quilted. I've done a couple that someone washed before quilting and the material went every which way but straight. There were a ton of loose threads on the back from the fabric.

I'd air them out in the shade as many days as you can before quilting.

Don't laugh...but if necessary....wear a mask when you quilt to cover any offensive odors that are left.

Pictures please!

Nan

MamaHen 05-29-2013 05:39 AM

Why not put the tops, one at a time, in a laundry bag and wash on a gentle cycle? Or even soak in tub of water with your choice of detergents, or even baking soda. The laundry bag should prevent any unraveling, anyway that's what I would do. Try one anyway, can't hurt, you only paid $3.00, what you got to lose.

carslo 05-29-2013 05:55 AM

I got a car once that reeked of weed (can I say that here) well that is one smell I can't tolerate I bought the strongest Febreeze and literally used up two bottles of the product before I deemed the car smellable. I wouldn't put the tops out in the sun for very long but I would try and air dry them once sprayed with the Febreeze on the clothes line or maybe in the garage. Good luck and I would love to see them :)

Sierra 05-29-2013 07:00 AM

Years and years ago we got a second hand mattress that stunk of cigaret smoke. Someone suggested an Avon product that had another purpose, but was good for taking out odors. I can't remember the name, but it sure worked. I rubbed it into the surface of the mattress a few times (once every morning) and it took out all the yucky odors.

quiltin-nannie 05-29-2013 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Sierra (Post 6091880)
Years and years ago we got a second hand mattress that stunk of cigaret smoke. Someone suggested an Avon product that had another purpose, but was good for taking out odors. I can't remember the name, but it sure worked. I rubbed it into the surface of the mattress a few times (once every morning) and it took out all the yucky odors.

Skin So Soft, not sure how safe for fabrics though.

Michelekolt 05-29-2013 07:18 AM

I have used baking soda in a plastic bag and this remove the smell really nice. Washing before quilting everything may fall apart.

wordpaintervs 05-29-2013 09:03 AM

MY VOTE GOES TO THE USE OF VINEGAR. a friend of mine bought something that STANK terribly. She soaked it in vinegar water (by hand) and it took all the odor out. Whether you choose to put in dryer or not is ...of course...an option. It might shrink. I'd think of waiting for a hot day and spread it on the grass to dry. good luck with it.