Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever had a quilt that everything went wrong from the beginning? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-had-quilt-everything-went-wrong-beginning-t223372.html)

molly oldham 06-10-2013 01:04 PM

yep. just finished one. A wedding quilt. I said if I believed in curses, I'd know someone put a curse on it. Just so glad it done, delivered and out of my sight.

leatheflea 06-10-2013 01:10 PM

Yep, I became so angry at one quilt I took out side cut it into small pieces and set it on fire....No I don't have a temper..;)

rufree4t 06-10-2013 01:14 PM

Everyone has a horror story I am sure. We are our own worst enemies. If he loves it just sit back and enjoy his joy.

klgls 06-10-2013 01:19 PM

Oh yes!!!! Butterfly blocks - wings on backwards - nothing would match up!! Still haven't finished it - but it just needs quilted. I will be so glad to get this one done!!!!

I'm sure hubby will love his quilt.

Jan in VA 06-10-2013 02:04 PM

You know, I think when most of us ask to see pictures of quilts here, we are really more interested in colors and patterns than than perfection and skill.:)

Jan in VA

ckcowl 06-10-2013 02:45 PM

OH YES!!! my nightmare quilt was a gift for my new mother-in-law...(of course) everything went wrong- it was an embroidered lone star quilt and even though the embroidered sections on their own are beautiful the lone star sections were *wonky*- nothing went together right...it puffed in places...it is anything but square & flat- and was a nightmare to quilt- but I did get it done & even though I hate it and cringe at the thought of it- hate the thought of her showing it to anyone- she loves it...so, I guess that's what counts. someday I want to make another one like it- and maybe get it right-but that one...OMG what a stressful mess it was= and a Christmas gift...ugh- worst quilt I ever made...I've had a few that didn't turn out quite the way I expected- but that one everything went wrong.

gramajo 06-10-2013 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA (Post 6114948)
You know, I think when most of us ask to see pictures of quilts here, we are really more interested in colors and patterns than than perfection and skill.:)

Jan in VA

Yep! Jan's right.

teacherbailey 06-12-2013 02:53 AM

I firmly believe that some quilts simply aren't meant to be. Wrong pattern, wrong set of fabrics, and nothing goes right from start to finish. I have one that I started as a new quilter years and years ago.....I had just discovered strip piecing and rotary cutters had just come on the market. Nowhere in the pattern did it warn against using directional fabric!!! I swear it didn't!!!!! So I have a huge set of blocks with the bright multicolor fish swimming up and down......and with the lovely orange blender fabric I chose, the black background with the fish makes it look like a Halloween nightmare...... I keep thinking I'll figure out a way to salvage it but maybe next year!

ILoveToQuilt 06-12-2013 03:02 AM

Yup...even called it "Murphy's Law" because whatever could go wrong did! It was supposed to be a Millennium quilt, for a guild challenge, with 2000 - 1" squares. Hah! More like 2300+ "non-square" squares. Tied, not quilted (as challenge rules stated it had to be), binding didn't quite attach to borders in some places...you get the drift. NOT a perfect quilt by any means. I did display it at a quilt show with the attached note: "If I can display a quilt like this, you should never feel intimidated, so show your quilts. Remember, there is no such thing as the quilt police!" Didn't win a ribbon, but did get lots of laughs and nods. It is now, one of my favorite quilts. It will forever be "Murphy's Law". :)

Anita

twinkie 06-12-2013 03:29 AM

That is always very discouraging.