Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever had a quilt that everything went wrong from the beginning? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-had-quilt-everything-went-wrong-beginning-t223372.html)

lclang 06-12-2013 04:00 AM

I never cut the fabrics for the entire quilt at the beginning. I cut what I need for the blocks/center. Then measure and cut whatever borders I want, then measure and cut for the binding. Sometimes I change my mind in the middle of a project and do my own thing so this works best for me.

DixieLee 06-12-2013 04:35 AM

I had one I call "quilt from hell" where I ran out of background fabric;could not find enough fussy cut panels;stars components came out too big; and so on. I worked through all of it and am quite proud that I finished it and it is on my bed now. I also learned a lot along the way and I guess that was the most important part of the whole experience because I like to learn when I sew

Stitchit123 06-12-2013 07:06 AM

I'm under the firm belief that if I don't have at least one out of every 10 quilts that frazzles me to utter madness I won't appreciate the ease of the next 9. My latest frazzler was a memory quilt out of double knit clothing. Yep that one had me cussin'-n-kickin' rocks But it came out beautiful and my little sister loves it and she does not see the boo-boo's only the love of her Mother. As I'm sure that is all your DSH will see is your love every time he uses it...

dc989 06-12-2013 07:31 AM

Sounds like the Garden Twist I made a few years ago. I got extra fabric to make it larger then either cut wrong or the pattern was wrong because I really messed up. I finally "pieced" some of the piecing to make enough blocks and figured it was going to be a horrid mess. It ended up that you can't even tell where I added creative flair to the design. LOL My longarmer did a fabulous job and now it is on our bed. I frequently get lavish praise when people see it, so I just keep my mouth shut and say thank you.

Wanabee Quiltin 06-12-2013 07:41 AM

I bought a kit to make a lap quilt for my best friend, she helped me pick out the fabrics without knowing it was for her. I knew it was an easy quilt to make so I started gung ho making it. After I had made all these HST and Flying Geese, I realized I did it wrong ! Even today, 3 years later, I still don't know what was going through my mind. I just put all the fabric and finished pieces into a ziplock bag and there they sit. I will get around to working on it again, but now I need to redo the pattern as it is totally wrong. I should have sewed the whole thing in one day, but now it will take me days to get it together !!! Don't feel bad, it happens to all of us.

Friday1961 06-12-2013 08:05 AM

Welcome to my club! I just posted about my own "how in the world did I do this" quilt! The top has mistakes and the back is crooked. And I did post pictures! Good news is that these board members were completely reassuring and kind about it, which made me feel better.

My advice is to do what you've already decided: Give it to him, forget the mistakes you made, and move on to the next one. And you're right, he won't care or notice the things you know are wrong about it.

Marich52 06-12-2013 08:10 AM

I think everyone who has done a few projects has one of those! I am working on an appliqued flower WH that is that way. I took revenge by making one of the flowers dead on the ground....

MargeD 06-12-2013 08:39 AM

I can so relate. A friend of mine asked me to make a king size quilt when they were redecorating their bedroom. I made a roman stripe quilt with black triangles. A year or two later he called to say that the fabric was developing holes. I was mortified, as this was the first quilt I was commissioned to do. Somewhere along the line I must have purchased fabric that had flaws and didn't notice. I was able to repair the quilt by appliqueing black triangles on the bad patches, nearly half the quilt, then stitched on top to go with the quilting I had done. I'm glad it worked out, otherwise I would have made him another quilt. After that fiasco I carefully check my fabric, especially if I have had it for a while. But you should look at this quilt as a learning experience, only you will know where there were mistakes, DH won't, so don't beat yourself up. Some quilts just challenge us in many ways. It happens sometimes, but don't give up quilting. The next quilt you make should be a walk in the park. Good luck.

JNCT14 06-12-2013 09:15 AM

Those types of quilts are why we have UFOs!!!!! Don't feel bad. When my elder daughter was 5 years old, I started a Winding Ways quilt. I was new to quilting then. I let her pick out the colors (shades of purple - she was BIG into Barney then...). So there were about 400 curved seams to do, then I wanted to make it POUFY so I bought extra high loft poly batting and THEN I decided to hand quilt it - and ECHO it in the bargain!!!
It was a UFO for years (my daughter is 22!!!) until I pulled it out this year, finished it off on the machine and threw it in my truck. I figure I can use it for football games while my younger kid cheerleads. There is a picture of it in the UFO Challenge thread. It was the only way I got it done!!!!!

Rose S. 06-12-2013 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea (Post 6114839)
Yep, I became so angry at one quilt I took out side cut it into small pieces and set it on fire....No I don't have a temper..;)

Oh, my, you have me laughing....