Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever had a quilt that everything went wrong from the beginning? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-had-quilt-everything-went-wrong-beginning-t223372.html)

SouthPStitches 06-12-2013 10:18 AM

Absolutely. Have made several quilts that the entire process felt like one never-ending root canal. Can't tell you the amount of times I've sworn off quilting completely, but 30+ years later, I'm still cranking them out.

KyKaren1949 06-12-2013 12:29 PM

If it's a total frustration and doesn't seem to be working out, I put the entire project in a large zip loc bag and put it away. Someday, I'll gradually pull things out of the zip loc graveyard and try again, but not when I'm so frustrated and upset.

HillCountryGal 06-12-2013 05:50 PM

Oh yes!
In fact, I'm just now finishing up "the quilt from He!!".
First off way into the quilt, I realized I didn't really have enough fabric. So from that point on, I just improvised.
THEN, after I sandwiched the quilt (baby quilt), I tried to machine quilt it THREE times, only to have to rip out the stitching. It never would lay right and yes, I had that puppy pinned to death!
SO, I figure it's not that big, let's just hand quilt it. All was going ok till I was almost done. Turned it over only to realize the backing was somehow crooked. Made a really wide binding to help cover some of it's crookedness. From the front, it looks ok... but the back is a whole other story.

Keep telling myself, this quilt is meant to throw on the floor and let the baby spit-up on it.

Boy I am not proud of this quilt.

Sassy08 06-13-2013 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by SouthPStitches (Post 6118418)
Absolutely. Have made several quilts that the entire process felt like one never-ending root canal. Can't tell you the amount of times I've sworn off quilting completely, but 30+ years later, I'm still cranking them out.

hahaha! You made me laugh out loud! Great analogy--never-ending root canal. I've had a few of those experiences in sewing clothing. You know--when you burn the pattern after you've finished the garment. I'm just now learning to quilt, so I'm sure my day is coming here too.

mckwilter 06-13-2013 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by leatheflea (Post 6114839)
Yep, I became so angry at one quilt I took out side cut it into small pieces and set it on fire....No I don't have a temper..;)

ROFLMAO! Thanks for starting my day off right.

I started a quilt in a mystery class several years ago using my Bernette, then when I got home and switched to my Bernina, realized that I had used a 3/8" seam on all the blocks, which were mainly HSTs. The pieces and the rest of the fabric, pattern, etc. are all in a redwell folder waiting to be completed, fixed or destroyed. I still haven't decided what I'm going to do with it.

nancia 06-13-2013 11:22 PM

very few of us belong in the "esteemed" group, but, like you, we are trying to make quilts for those we love and improve as we do. just another step forward! one more mistake to cross off the 'to do' list! hugs!

DOTTYMO 06-14-2013 03:30 AM

Oh yes. I made a quilt for a baby and was designing as I went.okay done that before but I washed it . A small piece of I think batic which I had washed. And was a scrap piece bled everywhere and ruined the quilt.