Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ever have "one of those" quilts that you can't wait to finish? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ever-have-one-those-quilts-you-cant-wait-finish-t195228.html)

Raggiemom 07-22-2012 07:45 AM

I think it happens to all of us at some time or another! I think there are one or two projects hidden in my sewing room somewhere waiting to be completed!

heidikins 07-22-2012 08:04 AM

Oh, been there done that. You know what is even worse? When you are making blocks for a quilt and you love the way the blocks look. Love the way the fabric colors are blending together and accenting each other. Sew all the blocks together-and look at the quilt and hate it. Too much contrast maybe. I don't know. I am hoping the quilting will make this quilt. But it is awfully hard to pick it back up and work on the borders. So thank you for posting this thread. Maybe I'll work a little on it today-maybe.

MargeD 07-22-2012 09:03 AM

I've had several quilts like that. A friend asked me to make a quilt for her using strips of fabric sewn together that she wanted to put together using red for sashing. I squared up the strips so that they were equal then tackled the red sashing. Every step of the quilt I recited to myself "red is a neutral", which was a quote from a quilter I saw on Simply Quilts - every room in her home was done in "crayon" colors. Well, my son and husband thought the quilt was great, as did my friend, so in the end it came out quite nice and she loved it.

MimiBug123 07-22-2012 11:28 AM

Those are the boogermen that usually end up in the UFO pile. If I don't like the blocks, the color cmbination or the fabric in general, I usually put it in the pile. I only quilt for myself and for gifts, so I figure if I don't like it, I don't have to do it.

CAS49OR 07-22-2012 01:24 PM

Yes, I will see a class offered for a quilt, take the class, go home to try and figure it out, get tired of it. Sometimes they look so wonderful I forget about all the work required to finish them.

margecam52 07-22-2012 01:46 PM

Yep, think we all have at one time or another. I've got so much fabric on hand, can't think of buying new stuff just yet..other than to fill in a solid color (most of mine are prints).

I have some customers send me fabrics that are very thin (for backings), or quilts made of really thin fabric....I spray with spray starch and let it dry (I don't iron it dry, since I have it on the quilting machine, it sort of presses itself..). Adds a bit of body... Sewing for myself...if the fabric is really thin...I starch the heck out of it first...I won't use it really flimsy. If I am using a satin or something in a crazy quilt or baby quilt...I add a tear away fusible stabilizer to the back...in a pinch, I'll add freezer paper ironed onto the back.

Originally Posted by tngal22 (Post 5380576)
I did stop at about the 3rd row because it was making me ill. I picked it back up later and did it it in sections until it was done. It is such cute fabric too, the Lil Rascals line with the dogs, cats, geese, etc on it. I love the design on it but not so much the thinness of the fabric. :(

captlynhall 07-22-2012 04:45 PM

I thought Moda was supposed to have good quality fabrics. So far I have not bought jelly rolls, or layer cakes or anything like that, so I am able to feel the texture of the fabric on the bolt before I purchase. Sorry you had so many problems.

4dogs 07-22-2012 11:10 PM

I may win the prize on this one..........I have a good friend who has a daughter was getting marrried in OCT..so I started making her a quilt, she loves lavendar colors..............that was "6" YEARS AGO this OCT and I still have NOT got that quilt finished........its about 2/3 done..........and for the life of me, I have NO idea WHY I cant just go and finish it........its like I just keep trying to forget its sitting there, on the shelf, waiting for me.... I think the real reason is that I HATE having to do a large quilt on my sewing machine, and this is a QUEEN size one.........maybe we need to organize a "work swap" so that we could help eaach other finish these thing...........

jigsymom 07-23-2012 06:38 PM

Okay, I really belong here lol.... My first queensize quilt is still not finished. Its all done with blues and yellows. I am quilting it by hand and I am sure by the time I get it done I will hate it. Its been over 6 years . I remember laying it out to pin at my friends house and her2 week old grandaughter was being passed around the other ladies as they watched me pin. Shes now in first grade. lol I do have to admit that this quilt did hang in my closet for about 3 years before I started to quilt it. I couldn't decide how I would do the hand quilting. Finally one night I had a dream that I was quilting daisys on it. That was it. found the 2 correct size templates the next day at the quilt shop exactly what I saw in that dream. I have been working slowly on this and the other day the question of the quilting on the border came up. Decided I wanted a simple leaf pattern. Found the perfect template at a quilt show a short time later. I keep telling my friends I should have this one quilted and done about the time friends grandaughter graduates high school. lol

tngal22 07-23-2012 06:46 PM

So glad I am not alone in this. lol I still have not finished mine but did start planning another. Oops. lol