Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fabric hoarding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-hoarding-t278952.html)

Jane Quilter 05-25-2016 03:32 PM

amen, msewinso

bj 05-25-2016 05:41 PM

In an effort to downsize before a move to another city, I took 16 trash bags full of fabric to a lady at church. She is in a group that makes quilts for one of the homeless shelters in town. She was glad to get it and I haven't missed it. Win-win (0:

berryberry 05-25-2016 06:34 PM

I've put sticky notes on some of my stash so my son knows who to give it to. My son teases me, any without a sticker is going in the box with me.

Sew Freak 05-26-2016 02:47 AM

I too am trying to use up my stash and not buy anymore. BTW berryberry....too funny!!!

Annaquilts 05-26-2016 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by berryberry (Post 7559528)
I've put sticky notes on some of my stash so my son knows who to give it to. My son teases me, any without a sticker is going in the box with me.

LOL on what your son says. Hubby tells me I can't die till I used it all so he tells me to get more.

WMUTeach 05-26-2016 03:02 AM

As many have said, it is wonderful to open the closet door and find what you need. I recently moved and I too wanted to downsize my stash. What I did was compact some of my bins of fabric and also donated some that I really, really would not ever use. Why keep it? Let another individual use it. I donated some to a group of students who were making little pillow case dresses for children in Africa. They made 30+ dresses and barely made a dent in what I gave them. They gave back all of the unused fabric. ;) My goal is to empty one bin or the equivalent of one bin this summer..... by making quilts, donations or ......... ? Problem is....I keep seeing new fabric that I just know I would use.

DonnaFreak 05-26-2016 03:26 AM

I have two tall bookshelves, a dresser, a chest of drawers, a tote bag, and a large tub filled with fabric. I probably have maybe $350 invested in all of it! I started building my stash when our local Wal-Mart closed out their fabric section (they brought it back!) and was selling all of their fabric for $2.00/yd! Most of the rest came from yard sales, estate sales, or was given to me. What I don't use in my lifetime will go to my quilting group, where two of the ladies do charity work, such as prayer quilts for cancer patients.

Donna

NJ Quilter 05-26-2016 03:27 AM

I've never had a stash and, honestly, don't want one. I am not a prolific quilter. I'm not overly fond of scrappy quilts. I buy for each project only. I'm very happy not having a stash. I don't have the room for a stash and after reading so many quilter's laments about being stressed by their stash, I think having a stash would just complicate my quilting life. I'm happy for those that love and use their stash - it's just not for me.

Stitchnripper 05-26-2016 03:47 AM

NJ Quilter, (I am from NJ originally!) I feel the same way, except I do like scrappy quilts and make them, but, as far as having a lot of fabric, I'm glad for those who want it and like it, but, it isn't for me either.

My son says all my sewing stuff is going to 1-800-GOT-JUNK, haha. I am going to put something in the file with my will that it is all to go to the local quilt shop for them to disburse.

Aurora 05-26-2016 04:09 AM

When I started my adventure in quilting, I had very little disposable money. It was very difficult to begin and work on projects. Fortunately, there were several place where I could purchase awesome fabrics. Needless to say, my stash steadily grew. I can now shop my stash, or, when necessary, I purchase fabrics needed for specify projects.

It is very liberating to have a somewhat large stash at my disposal to begin any project that lights my creative fire.

Nothing overwhelming here, just a significant quantity to at least make a beginning on any project of my choice.