Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fabric hoarding (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-hoarding-t278952.html)

sprice 05-25-2016 04:42 AM

fabric hoarding

Hi All,
About a week ago I was reading a very interesting post about a bunch of fabric being sold by the daughters their deceased Mom--Kansas City, I believe the post was from. Such interesting responses--and then I was off for a wedding and have lost track of the post. Anyone remember where I could find that post? I'd love to go back to it. Thanks.

PaperPrincess 05-25-2016 04:52 AM

It's in the Links and Resource forum.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/links-r...c-t278753.html

ManiacQuilter2 05-25-2016 05:12 AM

It is so sad. As I mentioned in the thread, our church group also received fabric from a family who just needed to clean out their mother's home since she had to be placed in a nursing home. I am trying to down size but I am way no near that stash.

Jingle 05-25-2016 07:15 AM

I have a bunch too. I'm not taking time to count it. My Daughter and oldest Granddaughter will be in charge of what to do with it.

sewingitalltogether 05-25-2016 07:46 AM

Yes, I really enjoy my stash. It makes me happy just to see all that fabric. It's not big enough to call it hoarding but it's substantial. Let my daughter and friends sort it out.

DOTTYMO 05-25-2016 08:00 AM

I am trying to reduce my stash as my brother intends to throw it in a skip.

Notwendy 05-25-2016 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO (Post 7559105)
I am trying to reduce my stash as my brother intends to throw it in a skip.

This can happen to anyone if they don't leave their wishes in writing (preferably in a will or similar). Just telling people isn't enough. There was one story (on this board I believe) recently where a son burned all the fabric instead. Spite, indifference, or ignorance can lead to your spoken wishes not being followed.

AnnieF 05-25-2016 08:56 AM

About 2 years ago, I had an "aha" moment about my stash.....I needed to stop buying fabric until I had used a lot of it up making quilts. I am a scrap quilter so needed and bought lots of different fabrics and because I belong to a group who makes baby quilts for children in the hospital and everyone knows I'm a scrap quilter, they give me their scraps....scraps on scraps on scraps. I took the "scrap therapy" workshop so now most of my scraps are uniformly cut.....but still a real lot of fabric....bins and bins of it. I don't want to leave it for my daughters to have to clear out. I'm doing it a little at a time, giving fabric away that I won't use to people who will. Hopefully that'll make it a little easier on the girls when it no longer matters to me. I have to say, though....it's been fun to find scrappy patterns that will use up all those carefully cut scraps. I am enjoying it.

cashs_mom 05-25-2016 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether (Post 7559098)
Yes, I really enjoy my stash. It makes me happy just to see all that fabric. It's not big enough to call it hoarding but it's substantial. Let my daughter and friends sort it out.

Me, too! Sometimes I go in my sewing room and open the closet doors and just feel the fabric and look at the colors. I have a ton of fabric, but not nearly that much! And I am using a lot of it up. I only buy fabric once a year at quilt fest and occasionally some go-withs in between. Other than that, I sew out of my stash most of the time. I like being able to do that. I can start a project on Sunday night at 7:00 if I want. I just start going thru my fabrics and pulling the ones I want. So much nicer than having to wait until I can get to the LQS

imsewnso 05-25-2016 03:27 PM

I was under the impression when I started quilting that you HAD to have a stash!!! Everyone had them and you weren't really a quilter if you didn't have. Well, I wish someone had convinced me not to buy all the pretty fabric I saw and thought I needed. I am now trying to downsize and finding it VERY DIFFICULT and extremely stressful. I will probably never use most of the fabric I have and have not and will not purchase more fabric without a specific need and pattern for it. Most of the fabric I have now is older and great for scrappy quilts, but I paid top dollar for it. Shame that it will be sold, given away and/or considered not as good as it once was. I am going to whittle away at my stash, but I will never use it all. LESSON LEARNED!!! I hope someone else might learn from my mistakes. There is ALWAYS PRETTY FABRIC ON SALE!!!! If you missed this sale there is another.....just wait and work on your current project. New patterns, new fabric and tons of ideas are always available. One does not have to do it all NOW. Just my 2 cents.