Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   fabric or material? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-material-t92885.html)

BizyStitches 01-23-2011 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by grammy25
Why is it when we quilt, we call it fabric and when we sew, we call it material?

I always say fabric (well try to anyway) because material can mean a lot of things. Like in instructions it will say gather your material: glue, paper, wood, etc. Get what I'm saying?

smitty 01-23-2011 04:57 PM

fabric is fabric, no matter the use. material is the things
you use for a project, including fabric. At least that is the
way it was explained to me by a fabric salesman.

Linda Loo 01-23-2011 04:57 PM

Aren't we humans Weird?????????

kathidahl 01-23-2011 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by caliquocat
I think the answer lies in how old one is & the local custom where we live.

For sure..it was material all my growing up days in Iowa..moved to Chicago and it became fabric...unless you listened to one of my church friends...then it was cloth! Whatever you call it, you can never have too much....

jaciqltznok 01-23-2011 05:32 PM

it always FABRIC,, cuz I aint a "material girl"...ehhehehahaha

right....with my stash....I am very much a material girl..

MiMi in Lutz 01-23-2011 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by kathidahl

Originally Posted by caliquocat
I think the answer lies in how old one is & the local custom where we live.

For sure..it was material all my growing up days in Iowa..moved to Chicago and it became fabric...unless you listened to one of my church friends...then it was cloth! Whatever you call it, you can never have too much....

Yes, my grandmother always called it cloth but she also worked in a factory in her young years making it. My mother and everyone else in Pa called it material. When I moved to Fl and would say material, people would look at me like I lost my mind. They call it fabric here in Fl.

leiladylei54 01-23-2011 08:12 PM

Oh boy, am I showing my age??? I remember as a little girl, my mother used to call the fabric stores, Dry Goods store. A few of our old time fabric stores here still call themselves Dry Goods store and I remember them being in business from my young days.

Judie 01-23-2011 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
Fabric is only one kind of material. There is also wood, brick, insulation. Those are all material (for building-- can you tell I am married to a former contractor?) There is also landscaping material, roofing material, get it? Material is what you use to do a job, but it's not always fabric. Fabric, however, always means fabric. I never ask for material, as it's too general a term. If I mean fabric, I say fabric.

Exactly!! Well said. Bravo!

Anna.425 01-23-2011 10:50 PM

Because it is material in the planning process but by the time we get to sewing it we have a relationship with it. Fabric is a more intimate term and much more personal.

mayday 01-24-2011 11:09 AM

You say fabric we,o/here say material.