Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61

Thread: fabric or material?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    stokesdale nc
    Posts
    10
    Why is it when we quilt, we call it fabric and when we sew, we call it material?

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    1,587
    I do/did.

  3. #3
    Super Member KathyAire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    3,414
    Fabric sounds more sophisticated. And, everyone knows we are a classy bunch of ladies (and some gentlemen).

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    stokesdale nc
    Posts
    10
    That brought a smile to my face. Thanks

  5. #5
    Super Member mrspete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC - USA
    Posts
    2,971
    I've wondered that, too. I've stopped and corrected myself a lot.

  6. #6
    Super Member sewingsuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    5,897
    I DON'T KNOW! That is ture.

  7. #7
    Super Member moonwork42029's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Possum Trot, KY
    Posts
    4,045
    If you go to a store and ask for the material section, they look dumbfounded...if you ask for the fabric section, they give you directions.

  8. #8
    Senior Member sew_southern's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    Posts
    871
    I think now days there are so many different materials that are not fabric related. We have to be specific and say fabric. Lol :)

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    915
    I always thought it was an age thing...My 83 year old mother always says material. Most of my "younger" friends say Fabric....

  10. #10
    Super Member Raggiemom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    3,589
    I never thought about it!

  11. #11
    Power Poster sewbizgirl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    12,783
    Fabric is only one kind of material. There is also wood, brick, insulation. Those are all material (for building-- can you tell I am married to a former contractor?) There is also landscaping material, roofing material, get it? Material is what you use to do a job, but it's not always fabric. Fabric, however, always means fabric. I never ask for material, as it's too general a term. If I mean fabric, I say fabric.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Ginaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Richmond, KY
    Posts
    576
    My MIL asked my husband to pick up something from the dry goods section of a store and he didn't know what she was talking about. That goes back even farther than material/fabric!

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    west allis, wisconsin
    Posts
    431
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Fabric is only one kind of material. There is also wood, brick, insulation. Those are all material (for building-- can you tell I am married to a former contractor?) There is also landscaping material, roofing material, get it? Material is what you use to do a job, but it's not always fabric. Fabric, however, always means fabric. I never ask for material, as it's too general a term. If I mean fabric, I say fabric.
    ditto that big time.

  14. #14
    Super Member Quiltforme's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Beautiful Washington state!
    Posts
    3,341
    Material sounds like a thing and fabric sounds like something that is rich and inviting that makes you want to make something out of it :)

  15. #15
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    I guess I call it fabric because I go to the Fabric Shop, not the Material Shop!!

  16. #16
    Super Member featherweight's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Westminster, Co
    Posts
    2,701
    Quote Originally Posted by happyscrappy
    Quote Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Fabric is only one kind of material. There is also wood, brick, insulation. Those are all material (for building-- can you tell I am married to a former contractor?) There is also landscaping material, roofing material, get it? Material is what you use to do a job, but it's not always fabric. Fabric, however, always means fabric. I never ask for material, as it's too general a term. If I mean fabric, I say fabric.
    ditto that big time.
    Very good explanation!!!

  17. #17
    Super Member Sandee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    middle America
    Posts
    2,848
    Blog Entries
    71
    I used to say material but changed to fabric just because it's quicker & I always have alot to say about fabric......

  18. #18
    Super Member Jan in VA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    Posts
    8,212
    Oh, Lord, my ex used to say, " did you buy more cloth today/what cloth are you using in that quilt?" Like nails on a blackboard to me!!

    FABRIC for Pete's sake.....never *could* get that through to him, poor guy. :lol:

    Jan in VA

  19. #19
    Super Member LivelyLady's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Western MA
    Posts
    2,680
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie in NM
    I do/did.
    I like that....me too.

  20. #20
    Senior Member crashnquilt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Lebanon, Missouri
    Posts
    607
    Well, I will say I used to call it DRY GOODS DEPARTMENT. That was back in the days of T.G.&Y. and wooden floors in the store.

  21. #21
    Junior Member Sewing Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    New Albany, Indiana
    Posts
    142
    My mom calls it "goods". I always have to stop for a second and try to figure out what she means.

  22. #22
    Super Member LucyInTheSky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,788
    I call it both and try to convince my husband that I need this FABRIC since I only have MATERIAL at home, and vice versa. :mrgreen:

  23. #23
    Super Member Airwick156's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    Posts
    3,558
    Blog Entries
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky
    I call it both and try to convince my husband that I need this FABRIC since I only have MATERIAL at home, and vice versa. :mrgreen:
    Does it work? LOL. I also have a daughter that calls fabric cloth.

  24. #24
    Super Member caliquocat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    No. California
    Posts
    1,298
    I think the answer lies in how old one is & the local custom where we live.

  25. #25
    Super Member sewwhat85's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    missouri
    Posts
    6,895
    i call it fabric my dh calls it material

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.