Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fabric-Use-Phobia (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fabric-use-phobia-t206566.html)

Lori S 11-21-2012 08:27 AM

I too am in your "group" but I have started to use some .. as fabrics just keep getting better .. and some that I thought so precious.. now don't look quite so "muesum" worthy.
I have to keep telling myself .. if I don't use some of these "muesum " pieces... there won't be room for the even better fabrics.

Bataplai 11-21-2012 08:29 AM

Great responses! So glad I'm not alone. I'm really trying to use some of my existing fabrics on projects for Christmas, but haven't been too successful yet. Maybe we need a support group. Fabric-Hoarders Anonymous. :)

Bataplai 11-21-2012 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by Lori S (Post 5671691)
I too am in your "group" but I have started to use some .. as fabrics just keep getting better .. and some that I thought so precious.. now don't look quite so "muesum" worthy.
I have to keep telling myself .. if I don't use some of these "muesum " pieces... there won't be room for the even better fabrics.

Excellent points. I have been repeating something similar in my head too ... 'use the fabric, there will be others just as great available'.

Bataplai 11-21-2012 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5671135)
Go to your stash and while looking at it say to yourself...."who do I want to give this fabric too?" Sound crazy that you would give your fabric away for someone else to have the joy of cutting it up and using it in their quilt doesn't it?
When my best friend died, I vowed to myself to cut into all my fabric because I wasn't going to leave a large stash for others to acquire. The old saying..."the person who dies with the most fabric wins!" is not accurate. The person who dies with the most unused, uncut beautiful fabric loses!!!!

I may need to print this and hang it in my sewing room.

mary quilting 11-21-2012 12:00 PM

We are fabric collectors. Coin collectors don't spend there coin and stamp collectors don't post there stamps so why should we use our special fabric

GrannieAnnie 11-21-2012 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Bataplai (Post 5670879)
I suffer from this! Anyone else?
I have great fabrics that I bought simply because I love them, without a project in mind, and now I can't bring myself to use them. I think 'If I use it, then I won't have this fabric anymore'. I find I do this more with my batik's than the other fabrics.

all of us like our "pets", be glad you have them.

Lori S 11-21-2012 12:14 PM

I think what we need is a " go ahead and cut it " day for those of us who haven't made that first cut into some special fabric we have been hanging onto.

hperttula123 11-21-2012 02:10 PM

oh I sure do. I try to limit my "savers". When I have enough new "savers" I will use or get rid of my least favorites. Keep in mind, I only have a one car garage that was converted into a sewing room. I can only fit as much as that room holds...lol.

jcrow 11-21-2012 03:16 PM

I opened up my jelly roll that I love and became depressed. I loved it wrapped up. I buy fabric lines like whole fat quarter bundles, jelly rolls, layer cakes, charms and yardages of some of my fabric fabric from the line and set it up on my bookcase and won't use it. I have a thing about buying fabric lines and have them everywhere...in drawers, rubbermaid tubs, piled high on dressers and desks. I keep thinking I'll find a pattern and use them, but I can't bring myself to do it. I love my fabric and am afraid if I cut into it, I'll find the right pattern for it and it'll be too late because I used some of it for another quilt. Crazy talk here!!! Some of my fabric lines are a few years old and I need to use them. I'm glad other people feel the same way I do. Thanks for this thread!!!!

nygal 11-21-2012 03:30 PM

Yes, I do it as well. Some are just too pretty to cut.