Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fake Cathedral Window - I just had to give it a try. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fake-cathedral-window-i-just-had-give-try-t215006.html)

kathdavis 03-15-2013 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Audrey (Post 5929392)
Since your using 5" squares what size is the backing to do Qayg?

Audrey, starting with the 5" squares, my blocks are finishing 18 1/2 " square so my backing should be around 22 1/2" square. I'll cut the full width of the fabric in half, which isn't quite 22 1/2" so I'll pray and then hopefully that will work.

I honestly haven't quilted one yet. I figured I would make all of my blocks and then get up enough nerve to cut backing and batting and start quilting. I've used this method on a baby blanket before using a different pattern, but not on a big quilt, so hopefully it will work. I'm creating as I go.

Denise 03-16-2013 06:13 AM

Beautiful!!!

Vicki I 03-16-2013 06:19 AM

My aunt made a large one. It was made with 1 large square and 4 smaller ones. SHe showed me how but I haven't tried it yet. Too many quilts in my head and not nearly enough time to get them all done. There is a youtube video for her method I believe. but I do not know what it is called. I will shoot her a message and aske her to post a link to it.

Marilynsue 03-16-2013 03:13 PM

You've so well on these that I vote for a tutorial from YOU! I'll be ready when you are! Those are beautiful and I would never know they aren't the "real deal". I wanna learn. :o

nannyrick 03-16-2013 03:37 PM

Beautiful job. Thanks for sharing with us. Can't wait to see the tutorial.

humbird 03-16-2013 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by nannyrick.com (Post 5932840)
Beautiful job. Thanks for sharing with us. Can't wait to see the tutorial.

S

See post #80 for the tutorial.

AuntieD 03-16-2013 06:10 PM

lovely quilt!!

kathdavis 03-16-2013 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by Marilynsue (Post 5932800)
You've so well on these that I vote for a tutorial from YOU! I'll be ready when you are! Those are beautiful and I would never know they aren't the "real deal". I wanna learn. :o

Tutorial is in posting #80.

sewhat540 04-07-2013 02:37 AM

I have seen this done years ago but very little but do like the way you are doing this one. It really takes it in another direction. I think I might like to try this and then it could be a sew along on a trip or just a lazy day to have something in hand. Thanks for showing.

kathdavis 04-07-2013 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by sewhat540 (Post 5983389)
I have seen this done years ago but very little but do like the way you are doing this one. It really takes it in another direction. I think I might like to try this and then it could be a sew along on a trip or just a lazy day to have something in hand. Thanks for showing.

I just want to clarify that this is all done on the sewing machine. I am not doing any hand sewing at all. Even when I do the quilting as I fold in the black fabric to stitch the colored block in, it will be done on the sewing machine. It could be done by hand, but I'm doing mine using the sewing machine.