Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fat Quarters vs. Bolted Fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fat-quarters-vs-bolted-fabric-t43309.html)

granniebj 04-20-2010 02:10 PM

I agree that fat quarters is the more expensive way to go, and with losing some to fraying. I mainly use fat quarters when I'm appliquing, and don't have enough of the right kind of scraps. Its convenient to buy a fat quarter here and there for small applique projects.
~Bj~

Quiltzilla 04-20-2010 02:11 PM

At Rocking Chair Quilts, and any other local quilt shop, Fat Quarters are cut from the same bolts as any by-the-yard sale is. It is just not cut to order. It is a half a yard long and half the fabric's width. I don't understand the "FQs have a lower quality than bolt fabric" comment.
We have the bolts on the shelf and FQs that are cut from those bolts on a shelf immediate below; same fabric.

mom-6 04-20-2010 03:25 PM

I've seen some FQs and jellyrolls that seemed to be not as tightly woven as others. Got them before I found a nearby LQS.

butterflywing 04-20-2010 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by seamstome
Real quarter is 9 by 44. Two real quarters laid top to bottom is a half yard. FQ is 18 by 22 so two FQ side by side is a regular half (18 by 44.

So in essense four FQ's equal a yard just like four real quarters do, it's just how you get there.

careful here. fat quarters are not always 18 x 22 because yardage is not always 44 wide. sometimes it's only 42 wide. sometimes you get shorted and sometimes what you get is a wide selvedge that's unusable. ask if you can see and measure before you buy that way. also, as said above, allow for shrinkage and fraying in the (pre)wash. also allow for waste pieces that may be too small for your project that wouldn't have existed if you had bought plain yardage.

earthwalker 04-20-2010 09:36 PM

I find FQ's a good addition to my scrap pile, especially if they have an interesting pattern or a colour I don't usually have on hand. I agree with Butterflywing, they don't always measure up the same. As for difference in quality, here they are cut from regular bolts.

Kutnso 04-21-2010 12:46 AM

You are very fortunate---in our local JoAnn's you very seldom find the same bolts as the FQs that are "wrapped" around a square piece of cardboard.
There are other FQs and you can see that these do come from bolts but these are rolled and you can see the difference.
Kutnso

mimee4 04-22-2010 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Quiltzilla
At Rocking Chair Quilts, and any other local quilt shop, Fat Quarters are cut from the same bolts as any by-the-yard sale is. It is just not cut to order. It is a half a yard long and half the fabric's width. I don't understand the "FQs have a lower quality than bolt fabric" comment.
We have the bolts on the shelf and FQs that are cut from those bolts on a shelf immediate below; same fabric.

Joann Fabric (forgive me as you have a LQS) has fat quarters that are purchased for the store already made up. Those are the fat quarters that aren't as good. I've shopped at several LQS and requested a fat quarter and they cut it from the bolt. Much better idea than the "factory cut".

ConnieF 04-22-2010 01:53 AM

I love FQ's, I do a lot of scrappy quilts and I don't have a lot of anything left over/// I make crumb quilts and they use every piece. 15 FQ's makes a great lap quilt.
None of my FQ's ever fray when I wash them for I do not cut anything off but surge every one before washing wit 3 threads of cheeeepes thread and loosen the bottom looper so it just pulls right out when dry.
Have fun, it is adicting you are warrned

Oklahoma Suzie 04-22-2010 05:17 AM

Originally Posted by heebz
hahaha. Thanks a bunch! I guess I was just putting a little too much thought into it.

yes 4 fq is one yard

Quiltzilla 04-23-2010 07:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an image that may be helpful in understand FQs better.