Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite go to quilt pattern (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-go-quilt-pattern-t242083.html)

LivelyLady 02-28-2014 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by charsuewilson (Post 6598307)
I tend not to make the same quilt twice. But my first 2 quilts were 9 patch w 2.5" squares. The first was all pieced by hand front and back, and quilted by hand, initially tied. The second one was alternated with 6.5" squares. The reason for 2 9 patches was an overabundance of 2.5" squares. Then I've remade quilts that were lost in a hurricane, but made them better. For baby quilts, I've added borders to enlarge a panel. I don't know if that qualifies as the same. My problem is that I like to do different things.

Same here....I like to keep trying new/different quilt patterns

Skratchie 02-28-2014 08:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I know that there are people who don't like making the same quilt twice, and that's cool, but when I need to throw together something quickly, I do a Turning Twenty Around the Block quilt. There are a few variations, and the fabric makes a HUGE difference - you can get vastly different looks depending on your focal. Here are a couple I've done ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464916[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]464923[/ATTACH]

quiltmom04 02-28-2014 09:19 AM

I do a Hunters star or a Lemoyne star if I'm just playing with fabric.

fangman 02-28-2014 09:31 AM

I love the Warm Wishes pattern.

JanieH 02-28-2014 11:36 AM

Log Cabin is my favorite for the same reasons others have mentioned and because I love the tradition of it!

Stitch124 02-28-2014 11:40 AM

Any pattern from Fabric Cafe.

pw6 02-28-2014 12:04 PM

depends of your fabric sizes.. there are a lot of patterns that use small pieces and trip around the world is one of them go to "quilt blocks galore" and take a look at all the FREE patterns.. good luck. I use them a lot in paper piecing as you usually need small pieces

FroggyinTexas 02-28-2014 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by terlyn (Post 6597942)
Lots of stash to use up. Do you have a favorite quilt pattern for a quilt that isn't planned for anyone particular?
Thanks. Terry

I love strip quilts and Dresden plate. Strip quilts are faster and easier, but either will use up a lot of stash. froggyintexas

Iraxy 02-28-2014 01:21 PM

My favorite go to patterns are log cabin and strip quilts. Always satisfy my strip overload.

Jo Belmont 02-28-2014 01:36 PM

I love making tumbler blocks. Anything goes. Just make sure rows are done in uneven numbers so you can adjust to avoid getting two of the same fabric together (not the end of the world if you do, however). The easiest way I've found is to cut pieces 5" x 5" (or left-over charms), trimming the sides at an angle to equal 3" at the top and the full 5" at the bottom. If you do trim off those side pieces, alternate the wide/narrow ends and join them on the horizontal. Trim the sides and you have a ready-made border.

All kinds of variations, but I've found this the great stash-buster, and the no-brainer therapy I need from time to time.

It will all pull together with a same-color, rather solid (or small print) border. You might also want to use that fabric for an inner border before attaching the small pieces.

Try it, you'll like it!