Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Favorite way to make HST? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/favorite-way-make-hst-t49388.html)

quilting.addict 06-12-2010 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by amma
There is another method where you sew the 2 squares of fabric together around all 4 edges and then cut the sewn blocks into 1/2 squares. I know I just watched the video but can't remember where now :roll: :oops: Maybe the Missouri Quilt Co?

wow, thanks Amma!! I went to Missouri Quilt and learned the neat shortcut of holding the squares in half and pressing with iron each square on the diagonal..wow, that beats marking one of each pair with a ruler and a pen!! thanks for steering me to that video!!

craftybear 06-12-2010 09:08 PM

Wow, lots of cool links here thanks everyone, we sure learn together

ktbb 06-12-2010 10:02 PM

the method I use depends on how many of the same color combination I'm making. For just a few I do the two-square stitched twice process and for making a lot I use a computer program which allows me to print out paper with stitching lines for the number and size of finished square I want..I print up as many sheets of paper as I need to do the job. I've used Thangles (a different brand from Triangles on a Roll) and they work fine, but I prefer to print my own -

Pam 06-13-2010 06:28 AM

I do it the old fashioned way, I mark out the squares and draw the diagonal lines on the back of the light fabric, using up to 1/2 yard of both colors, sit down and sew the diagonals, cut on the squares, press trim and then I have about 70 or so all made up. Squaring is the worst for me, standing at that table makes my back stiff.

Barb130 06-13-2010 07:24 AM

There is another method where you sew the 2 squares of fabric together around all 4 edges and then cut the sewn blocks into 1/2 squares. I know I just watched the video but can't remember where now :roll: :oops: Maybe the Missouri Quilt Co?

I saw that same video. it was Missouri Quilt Co. I went to their web page but couldnt find it on there. I would sure like to find the video again

:cry:

Barb130 06-13-2010 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Barb130

I saw that same video. it was Missouri Quilt Co. I went to their web page but couldnt find it on there. I would sure like to find the video again

:cry:

When I first saw the video, it was on here. someone had posted the website. it was a Youtube from MQC.

quiltluvr 06-13-2010 07:27 AM

Another line down the middle and stitch 1/4" on either side, cut and press here.

I bought some Thangles on a Roll but haven't used them yet.

Holice 06-13-2010 07:38 AM

i do the two seams down the middle. Also, find that when I cut the initial squares a little larger and then recut to size that it goes better for me. It is difficult to get the exact 1/4" seam if the initial square is cut exact (4 7/8" for instance)

dglvr 06-13-2010 07:59 AM

Great links. Thanks everyone. There are always alot of ways of doing everything its just the one you like best. :thumbup:

janedennis 06-13-2010 10:51 AM

I am doing a pattern now that doesnt tell you what the final size should be just what to cut them, could you tell me what i should square up to if i cut them 3 and 1/4, thanks