Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/featherweight-t155170.html)

sewbizgirl 09-23-2011 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by dianalee
Nice treadle! Your baby?

Thanks... yes, my favorite of my vintage machines. :mrgreen:

miriam 09-24-2011 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by Terri Morin
Would you pay $400 for a featherweight, in good condition (so it's advertised)? The very first machine I bought was a 15 year old White, and I used it for 35 years. At the end it just wouldn't do the job - bobbin continually got messed up, had to pull the fabric through, etc. I'm a little leary of older machines. There seem to be a lot of used Kenmores. Are they worth anything?

I'd love to see if I could get the old white to work. Does it have any plastic parts? If no plastic parts I bet we can get it to work. send a pm

twinkie 09-24-2011 02:42 AM

I have used my Featherweight for over a year on a daily basis. I have done FMQ on smaller projects and have found they seldom break. It has such a nice stitch and is very easily taken back and forth to classes and retreats. However $400 is a lot higher than I would pay for one. The one I use is a 1950 and I paid $157 on E-Bay with the case and accessories. It is in nice shape. Just look around and check Craigs List also.

Originally Posted by Zhillslady
Nope I don't see the appeal. I borrowed a friends (she collects so has several) for a few months when my "take to class machine" broke. It was nice and lightweight to tote back and forth but if I drop or slam on the brakes or etc. I'm out $300+ for a 50-60 year old machine. I think the old singers and kenmores sew just as well and I'll tote my $49 old (I'm sorry vintage) viking to classes. Little heavier but it's in a rolling bag I can live better if it breaks.

southernmema 09-24-2011 03:25 AM

A little pricey to me.

countryblocks 09-24-2011 04:05 AM

I paid $300 for a 221- Featherweight

OmaForFour 09-24-2011 04:33 AM

I would not pay more than $200.

Stitcher317 09-24-2011 05:10 AM

That is high for today's prices. Featherweights make a great stitch and are very easy to take to classes but they only do a straight stitch! So many classes today incorporate different stitches I found it better to purchase a small Baby Lock or Janome which only weigh about 12#. Depending on what model you get you have a variety of stitches available. All this for about the same amount of money and they are brand new...Just my opinion....

patdesign 09-24-2011 05:42 AM

Would you pay $400 for a featherweight, in good condition (so it's advertised)? The very first machine I bought was a 15 year old White, and I used it for 35 years. At the end it just wouldn't do the job - bobbin continually got messed up, had to pull the fabric through, etc. I'm a little leary of older machines. There seem to be a lot of used Kenmores. Are they worth anything?

Unless it had a lot of extras no! It would have to be in REALLY good condition. I have paid only that for one and it was #1900 something of the very first run of featherweights in 1933. :-D

patdesign 09-24-2011 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by miriam

I'd love to see if I could get the old white to work. Does it have any plastic parts? If no plastic parts I bet we can get it to work. send a pm

If your White was pre 1960's it probably is metal parts, best way to tell is take the bottom off or take it to a shop to have it evaluated, if it has plastic gears forget it. :-D

collady 09-24-2011 05:49 AM

Too high a price. Really good ones can be found for as little as $125.