Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Featherweight (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/featherweight-t155170.html)

Happiness is... 09-24-2011 05:58 AM

It's long gone.

ncredbird 09-24-2011 06:48 AM

There is a very nice old Singer machine that is still light weight and I have done all my FMQ on it as well. It is still very affordable and you should be able to find one locally on craigslist. It is the 301 or 301A and it is billed as the bigger sister to the Featherweight. It is light enough to take to classes as well. It is not as sought after as the Featherweight but it is an excellent machine. I have always been able to do all the basic maintenance on it myself and it is a gear driven rather than belt driven machine which means that it will sew through thicker layers than the Featherweight. If you find a machine without the users manual they are available to download online free of charge. I see them regularly for about $50.00 and have picked them up for my kids to have one each. I personally have more machines than I can say grace over but love the old ones. I wouldn't buy any Singer dated after 1965 as the quality went to pieces after that. Ann in TN

Happiness is... 09-24-2011 06:49 AM

Thanks, Ann. I'll take a peak around.

Tinabug 09-24-2011 06:51 AM

Yep, that is too high. Some of the dealers are just cashing in on the FW, because we like them. The old supply and demand thing. I saw one posted for $600! Give me a break, the dude must have thought I was stupid. It was not really clean, it was in good shape but it was just a 221. I also saw another singer portable being advertised as a FW. I hope no one falls for some of their tactics. I did pay $250 for a really nice Centennial 1951 FW....:-))

caspharm 09-24-2011 07:51 AM

That price is high if it is for a 221. If it is for a 222 (freearm version), then that's a good price.

dkquilter 09-24-2011 08:07 AM

I would say that is too much. I bought one off of eBay for 100.00. Had it cleaned etc. for 45.00. Sews great, take it too class etc. The only thing is that I like to finish a quilt on the machine I start on....so I use this one at home sometimes too. I really love my Janome PQ Quilter but it is way to heavy to carry around. I love Kenmore also and have had good service from mine...Good luck in what you do..

Debbie C 09-24-2011 08:16 AM

$400 is a little pricey for a FW - if that's what you're looking for (and can easily afford), then go for it, but there are still some bargains out there. If you do go for it, I'd make darned sure it was pristine and had lots of accessories, good wiring, near perfect carrying case.

grannypat7925 09-24-2011 08:31 AM

Check eBay. That $400 price is high.

dphelps 09-24-2011 08:36 AM

NO!

Deb D 09-24-2011 09:06 AM

I know someone in my town that refurbishes featherweight sewing machines and does an excellent job. If you want I can send info and maybe they can help. You can email me at:
[email protected]