Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Feedsack fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feedsack-fabric-t280376.html)

Jane Quilter 07-12-2016 08:17 PM

I have never seen real flour sack fabric in my life. It must have been wonderful to get fabric when you bought flour. Too bad the tradition stopped.

Wanabee Quiltin 07-13-2016 04:16 AM

There is a lady who sells the most beautiful feed sacks for about $20 a fat quarter size. I have met her at the Antique Fair in Round Top, TX. I have bought many a feed sack at antique stores and even yard sales. You got a great deal.

Kris P 07-13-2016 04:27 AM

My mom bought a box (or boxes) of flour sacks at an auction when we were kids in the late 70's. I remember using them as dish towels until they were worn out and thread bare. At least they made drying dishes more enjoyable.

mac 07-13-2016 08:16 AM

Wow, what a steal. My mom used to embroidery on feed sack material (it was always white) for dish towels. I still have them and I'm still using them after 45 years of marriage.

Your selection is beautiful. I have never seen them in colored, printed fabric. If they are like my dish towels, your quilt (if that is what you make) will wear like cast iron and be around for generations to come.

jbj137 07-13-2016 09:18 AM

*** I love feed sacks.
*** I wore dresses from them as a child.
*** MaMa would add a solid as a collar or sash to match the print colors.
*** She also sometimes made bloomers to go under them.

maryellen2u 07-13-2016 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by M.Elizabeth (Post 7600283)
When I was a child, my mom made our clothes from feedsacks. But - that was a long time ago. I've only seen - and have - reproductions in my possession now.

Me too! It makes me so nostalgic and missing my Grandmother. She sewed my feed sack dresses on a treadle machine. Then I'd make doll clothes out of the scraps! I'd give my right arm for some now but what would I do with it!?

cowgirlquilter 07-13-2016 12:17 PM

These are simply beautiful! Cant wait to see what pretties you will make!

carolynjo 07-13-2016 12:26 PM

Feed sack fabric was a way of life for me growing up on a rural farm during WWII. My mom found a couple of sacks with a girl in a bubble bath. She made under shorts for my brother who was in the navy and they were the hit of the ship.I learned to sew on that wonderful soft fabric. If you don't have a pattern in mind, look up the book"Quilts Made Modern" where she shows one which is great.

luvstoquilt 07-13-2016 01:18 PM

I would have bought all of them! What a bargain! I love feedsacks!

mac 07-13-2016 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by jbj137 (Post 7600865)
*** I love feed sacks.
*** I wore dresses from them as a child.
*** MaMa would add a solid as a collar or sash to match the print colors.
*** She also sometimes made bloomers to go under them.

I bet the bloomers were adorable under the dresses. What a nice memory.