Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Feedsack fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feedsack-fabric-t280376.html)

needles3thread 07-13-2016 03:12 PM

Happy for you...........I love them also.

ccthomas 07-13-2016 05:03 PM

Beautiful feed sack fabric. I have purchased a few yards but have to trust the person selling as I am not that knowledgeable to trust myself yet that I have an authentic feed sack fabric.

MargeD 07-14-2016 07:31 AM

Great fabrics and a great bargain too.

Carol34446 07-14-2016 08:30 AM

I would have bought it too, lovely patterns and colors. Let us see what you make, it will be beautiful.

Carol Jean 07-14-2016 12:53 PM

Wow, that is really pretty! So happy for you as this will make a very nice quilt.

Irishrose2 07-14-2016 04:11 PM

Another feedsack dress wearer here. With fabric rationed in WWII, a pretty print dress was welcome. My Grandmother was an accomplished seamstress, so it wasn't a problem.

retrogirl02 06-17-2020 01:02 PM

Lovely feedsacks, I don't blame you for wanting even more! I have some smaller cuts and a bunch of reproductions. IDK if they've fallen out of fashion recently...I haven't been sewing in a long time. They're much harder to find in our area and the shops I used to purchase from have mostly closed but they'll always be collectible as far as I'm concerned because they remind me of my great grandmother. She worked in a textile mill and always picked out colorful, happy fabrics and preferred "conversationals".

Lena1952 06-18-2020 04:06 AM

Several years ago I was lucky enough to attend an auction that was selling Feedsacks. The auctioneer thought they were rags and began the bid at a dollar a box! There were several quilters there and the boxes went for $20 - $25 a box. I came home with my van loaded. I stopped counting when I got to 2000! I think I paid about $300 for Ll of them and those boxes were large! They were clean, pristine and most were still sewn into bags. There is only one problem: I can't bring myself to cut them to make anything. I know this is silly. I grew up on a farm and my parents and grandparents used them and I've heard their stories of how they were used. But I just can't bring myself to cut them up. Occasionally I take them out, refold, enjoy them and put them away until next time.

ka9sdn 06-18-2020 04:47 AM

You got a really nice mix in these. Enjoy them as you work!

juliasb 06-18-2020 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether (Post 7600276)
One of our quilt guild members brought in a bag with 79 yards of feedsack fabrics. A yard of each. I couldn't resist and bought 21 yards of fabric!! I somehow wanted the whole sack and now I'm questioning myself. What would I have done with all of it. But, I'm happy with my 21yards. She thought maybe we could get a dollar or two for each. We settled on $4 each.

What a find and what a bargain! I have only a few pieces that I doubt will be cut into and are in a cedar chest for safe keeping. I doubt I would buy any because of the temptation to just put them with the others in the cedar chest. I have so many fabrics here that I am afraid to use because they are irreplaceable. What a great find.