Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Feedsack fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/feedsack-fabric-t280376.html)

sewingitalltogether 07-12-2016 12:54 PM

Feedsack fabric

One of our quilt guild members brought in a bag with 79 yards of feedsack fabrics. A yard of each. I couldn't resist and bought 21 yards of fabric!! I somehow wanted the whole sack and now I'm questioning myself. What would I have done with all of it. But, I'm happy with my 21yards. She thought maybe we could get a dollar or two for each. We settled on $4 each.

ManiacQuilter2 07-12-2016 12:59 PM

I have never sewn on feed sack fabric before. Will want to see what you make out of this bundle of fabrics.

M.Elizabeth 07-12-2016 01:03 PM

When I was a child, my mom made our clothes from feedsacks. But - that was a long time ago. I've only seen - and have - reproductions in my possession now.

sewingitalltogether 07-12-2016 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The fabric is very soft. She said it smelled so she washed the daylights out of it. I fave a pattern all picked out to showcase the fabric.

mike'sgirl 07-12-2016 02:03 PM

All I can say is "lucky duck!" My brown eyes are now green, lol. I love feed sack. I havesoms, but haven't decided what to do with it yet. I like your pattern, make sure to let us see the finished quilt.

amyjo 07-12-2016 03:15 PM

I would have bought all she had for that was a steal. You can't find it around here

JuneBillie 07-12-2016 07:11 PM

They are pretty to me. When I was growing up my mother use to buy sacks of flour that when you went through all the flour you had a pillow case left.

Judith1005 07-12-2016 07:14 PM

Pretty fabrics. And a right good deal. Can't wait to see what you make with it! Have fun.:)

roguequilter 07-12-2016 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by sewingitalltogether (Post 7600304)
The fabric is very soft. She said it smelled so she washed the daylights out of it. I fave a pattern all picked out to showcase the fabric.

i started buying feedsacks at auctions while we lived in PA in the 80's. i'd get boxes full for .25 cents. collecting it wasn't the fad then as it is now & no one would bid on it. i have quite a large collection now as i've continued to collect over the years. your comment "showcase" the fabric is how i feel about using this wonderful fabric. the myriad of colors, prints --florals, novelty, plaids & geometric 'modern' looking designs. i am looking forward to seeing which psttern you use.

roguequilter 07-12-2016 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by JuneBillie (Post 7600484)
They are pretty to me. When I was growing up my mother use to buy sacks of flour that when you went through all the flour you had a pillow case left.

my son & i were doing yard sales one day & one that we stopped at was being held by a wonderful mennonite woman. we sat & visited with her for quite a while. she had, among other vintage fabric treasures, some flowersack pillowcases. the only ones i've ever seen. they were still stitched with the heavy thread. she explained to me what needed to be done to finish them as pillow cases. i haven't & don't plan to do so ...i love the novelty of them.