Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Finsh the bolt stash building (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/finsh-bolt-stash-building-t101206.html)

sherriequilts 02-20-2011 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829
My LQS has an end of bolt discount but only on Wednesday, which is a workday for me and they're open only until 6 PM. Guess I have to wait for vacation.

Talk to them, they might work out an accommodation for you. I have a quilt shop that does that for me as I don't go there on Saturday and usually that is their sale day. After all, they sell more stuff that way! Oops! You'll spend more too! Might not be such a good idea!

catrancher 02-20-2011 08:18 AM

I visit a lot of quilt shops, and it amazes me when they DON'T offer a discount at the end of the bolt. I ask for "x" amount of fabric. Then they find an 1/8 of a yard left and ask me if I want it.

"is there a discount?" I say.

"No," comes the reply.

Then why would I buy more than I asked for???

Such a dumb policy.

debbieumphress 02-20-2011 08:24 AM

Both our LQS's give the guild members 15% and they also do End of the Bolt Sales, when two yards or less, it's 40% off. I have added to stash this way too, unfortunately too many times. :):)I love end of bolts sales. And it gives me more empty bolts for new fabric to store on.

debbieumphress 02-20-2011 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by catrancher
I visit a lot of quilt shops, and it amazes me when they DON'T offer a discount at the end of the bolt. I ask for "x" amount of fabric. Then they find an 1/8 of a yard left and ask me if I want it.

"is there a discount?" I say.

"No," comes the reply.

Then why would I buy more than I asked for???

Such a dumb policy.

JOann's always tells me there's "so much" left and you can have it for 50% off. I always take it. They do that because if it is left all they do is put it in the scrap bins. So I also go around the store and find those that have 2yds or less and get the deals. teehee. Takes time but hey....if it works.

dunster 02-20-2011 08:26 AM

One of the stores nearby does offer a discount, I think 30%, and JoAnn's offers a discount too (I think only if you're not using a coupon). At other stores I've had clerks ask me if I want the remainder at the same price, even though it may be only a couple of inches. What's with that? Wouldn't it be better to either throw it in (assures customer satisfaction and repeat business) or offer a big discount?

catrancher 02-20-2011 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
One of the stores nearby does offer a discount, I think 30%, and JoAnn's offers a discount too (I think only if you're not using a coupon). At other stores I've had clerks ask me if I want the remainder at the same price, even though it may be only a couple of inches. What's with that? Wouldn't it be better to either throw it in (assures customer satisfaction and repeat business) or offer a big discount?

My thinking exactly!

scrapykate 02-20-2011 08:53 AM

one of my LQS give 20% off if you finish the bolt on the 20th of every month. Well, she is closed today but tomorrow she will give 21% if you finish the bolt!!! I love to go when I can but always come out with way more that I really meant to spend. But have always found uses for the material I get or at least have a plan for it, time will tell if it really gets used for that.

Lori S 02-20-2011 10:24 AM

Mine does not offer a discount. They get every penny out of every bolt. They sell 2.5 inch strips for .60 cents. They are typically the last few inches left on a bolt. The thought is you can make your own jelly roll.

Vanuatu Jill 02-20-2011 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by dunster

Joann's still gives the discount of 50% on the remaining fabric on the bolt-even if the fabric is on sale-and you can use the coupon because the coupon is taken at the register, not the cutting table. Most of the 40 or 50% coupons are only good on regular priced fabric, but sometimes (like currently) they have a 20% off entire purchase (sale fabric included). I have done it many times, and NEVER buy unless it is on sale, and always use my coupons to get the most discount available. Yesterday I found a couple fabrics with less than 2 yards-I said I wanted only 1 1/4 yd and got the rest at 50% off-it was only on sale for 25% off, but got the better-than 1/2 yard extra at 50% off-then used the 20% off coupon at the register.

mzzzquilts 02-20-2011 12:11 PM

There is a wonderful quilt shop in Tecumseh, MI named "The Quilt Patch" that has a room with past season fabrics marked at a discounted price, I think no more than $7.99 a yard (I THINK!). They also have a large quantity of "finish the bolt" at a discount also, but I don't remember the percentage. They have a punch card for frequent shoppers also.