Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Finsh the bolt stash building

When I started quilting about 4 years ago I bought the fabric I needed, but soon saw the need for building a stash. When I started stash building I "collected" fat quarters. Recently I realized that while my fat quarter stash was useful, I had times where I needed more than a fat quarter of something to complete a project so went shopping.

Recently I saw a sign at my LQS that said "Finish the bolt and take 20% off". So each time I go in I get whatever it is I "need" and keep an eye out for skinny bolts. So far I've gotten some really nice batiks at a nice price - and it's a great way to build stash of "yardage" as most that I've found have been around 2 yards left on the bolt.

My LQS lady said the discount will apply regardless of how much yardage is on the bolt - just finish it. I need to keep this in mind when looking for backing! She also confessed to building her stash like this as well so we are now in competition :)

Do any of your LQS offer discounts for finishing the bolt?

I wish they did cause I would take advantage of it!!!

But I do have to say that the shop closest to me has a sale about every 6 weeks or so and it's usually 30 - 33% off all fabrics so I can't complain too much!!!

Mine offers 25%

I have had some LQS offer the finish the bolt discount and several that do not offer any discount. So I usually frequent the ones that do offer the discount

Blog Entries
    Great idea!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    When I started quilting about 4 years ago I bought the fabric I needed, but soon saw the need for building a stash. When I started stash building I "collected" fat quarters. Recently I realized that while my fat quarter stash was useful, I had times where I needed more than a fat quarter of something to complete a project so went shopping.

Recently I saw a sign at my LQS that said "Finish the bolt and take 20% off". So each time I go in I get whatever it is I "need" and keep an eye out for skinny bolts. So far I've gotten some really nice batiks at a nice price - and it's a great way to build stash of "yardage" as most that I've found have been around 2 yards left on the bolt.

My LQS lady said the discount will apply regardless of how much yardage is on the bolt - just finish it. I need to keep this in mind when looking for backing! She also confessed to building her stash like this as well so we are now in competition :)

Do any of your LQS offer discounts for finishing the bolt?
    Yes, one of my local QS does that. I have gotten quite a few blenders and designs that would fit many different quilts. If I am buying fabric and ask for a certain amount of fabric and find that there is just a yard or 2 left on the bolt I will get the whole thing.

My very favorite local quilt store has sale corner and offers 40% off to finish the bolt. I've bought some beautiful fabrics like this. I try to look for fabrics suitable for backings. On occasion, I've found end of bolts for fabrics I already have. Since I like to make matching pillowcases, that's always a plus.

One of our shops does that, she takes 15% off the total price regardless of the yardage. She also has stash cards that are stamped for each $5 purchase. It takes $100 to fill the card, worth $10 off next purchase. None of the LQS allow the card to be stamped for sale or reduced items but that it okay with me. The other LQS keeps track of your spending, when you reach $300, you get a $20 gift card.
    Again, no sale items are allowed to be a part of that total.

mine does (whooho) and they even have 1 section of sale fabrics that if you finish bolt..you get 50percent!

wow...don't think that's possible here

Mine does "End of bolt Thursday" which is the last Thursday of each month you get 25% off any fabric you finish off.
    Then we get 25% off our "total sale" one time the week of our birthday and then of course they have the shelf of fabrics that are 25% off.....usually older fabrics but sometimes I can find really good deals on that shelf! My favorite though is the little card, they punch it out and when it is full, you get $20.00 off your next sale. I have used many of those cards....LOL :D

Blog Entries
    The only time there are discounts is when my LQS has a'sale'. I reecently picked up a few yards at her last sale. I went in again the day after the sale hoping to get a few more but the owner had cut all of the older bolts into 1 yd pieces and was selling them $1 less than the regular price - not much of a discount and now they were in short lengths so I ddn't get anything.

Last December a store that was moving added an extra 15% to the marked discount (50% - 70% off) if you finished the bolt. That made LQS quality prints less than $1.50 per yard -- of course I bought more than I need!!

Yes...here in North Carolina, there is a shop in Chapel Hill that I absolutely love...Thimble Pleasures....that does the end of the bolt sale once a month...the last Fri/Sat of the month and I believe it's either 30 or 35% off to finish the bolt!! It's a little bit of a hike for me, but when I go, well worth the trip!! My local LQS had one in December as well with 30% off!!

I have one that I like to go to that gives a discount of $1 off/yd. if you finish the bolt and also gives you 15% off everyday too! Also my favorite is having a sale @25% all month. They're bringing the new inventory and making room for it, even the NEW fabs are on sale.

My LQS has an end of bolt discount but only on Wednesday, which is a workday for me and they're open only until 6 PM. Guess I have to wait for vacation.

Blog Entries
    My sisters Joanns in Arkansas, does. Your yardage is full price, but the additional yardage to finish the bolt is half off. I came home with way more fabric than I intended. Wish they would do that around here.

Our QS takes it off the bolt, folds it on table, you take it all for 4.99 a yd. for how ever much is there.

Blog Entries
    We don't have a LQS but the ones in the near by town, sell the remnants at a reduced price. I've added to my stash a lttle this way but I never get there in time for the good sales.

Quote Originally Posted by costumegirl
    The only time there are discounts is when my LQS has a'sale'. I reecently picked up a few yards at her last sale. I went in again the day after the sale hoping to get a few more but the owner had cut all of the older bolts into 1 yd pieces and was selling them $1 less than the regular price - not much of a discount and now they were in short lengths so I ddn't get anything.
    Boy she really ruined that for you. and me. I am so anal that I have to buy fabric in lengths long enough to put unseamed borders on the sides of my quilts! and then I cut my bindings out lengthwise too just so they have fewer seams in them! The binding for the last quilt I made had one seam in it!!! It was a 3 fabric quilt so I cut borders and binding first then the pieces for the body of the quilt! Also used the rest for the back (with some help from the other two fabrics!).

Quote Originally Posted by cmw0829
    My LQS has an end of bolt discount but only on Wednesday, which is a workday for me and they're open only until 6 PM. Guess I have to wait for vacation.
    Talk to them, they might work out an accommodation for you. I have a quilt shop that does that for me as I don't go there on Saturday and usually that is their sale day. After all, they sell more stuff that way! Oops! You'll spend more too! Might not be such a good idea!

I visit a lot of quilt shops, and it amazes me when they DON'T offer a discount at the end of the bolt. I ask for "x" amount of fabric. Then they find an 1/8 of a yard left and ask me if I want it.

"is there a discount?" I say.

"No," comes the reply.

Then why would I buy more than I asked for???

Such a dumb policy.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Both our LQS's give the guild members 15% and they also do End of the Bolt Sales, when two yards or less, it's 40% off. I have added to stash this way too, unfortunately too many times. :):)I love end of bolts sales. And it gives me more empty bolts for new fabric to store on.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by catrancher
    I visit a lot of quilt shops, and it amazes me when they DON'T offer a discount at the end of the bolt. I ask for "x" amount of fabric. Then they find an 1/8 of a yard left and ask me if I want it.

"is there a discount?" I say.

"No," comes the reply.

Then why would I buy more than I asked for???

Such a dumb policy.
    JOann's always tells me there's "so much" left and you can have it for 50% off. I always take it. They do that because if it is left all they do is put it in the scrap bins. So I also go around the store and find those that have 2yds or less and get the deals. teehee. Takes time but hey....if it works.

One of the stores nearby does offer a discount, I think 30%, and JoAnn's offers a discount too (I think only if you're not using a coupon). At other stores I've had clerks ask me if I want the remainder at the same price, even though it may be only a couple of inches. What's with that? Wouldn't it be better to either throw it in (assures customer satisfaction and repeat business) or offer a big discount?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast