Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   First shpg trip to joann's (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/first-shpg-trip-joanns-t192098.html)

alwayslearning 06-20-2012 09:47 AM

What a wonderful experience for both of you and for your fellow shoppers.

tiptrinket 06-20-2012 11:14 AM

That must have been fun!!!

nstitches4u 06-20-2012 04:34 PM

Making memories. Your DGD will remember the time you spend with her.

ging10ging 06-20-2012 04:43 PM

Precious memories because they grow so fast and then their driving, etc. grandchildren are so special you can't explain that 1st time you see them and realize that it's your child's child it's so amazing. Enjoy these days they are so cute. Sue

AuntieD 06-20-2012 04:48 PM

What a good story! Maybe she will be sewing and quilting with you soon.

jeanharville 06-20-2012 05:20 PM

You are so lucky to get to be with you grandchildren. Mine have lived all over the world and the US and therefore we don't get to see each other often. However now that I'm retired, I get to go to the US gks homes three or more times a year. The overseas kids and I keep in touch through letter writing, DVD home movies, and FB. But these only keep us in touch. However as I write this, I'm thinking of how the DVD movies could be used to pass along hobby interests. Long distance grandparenting is more difficult. So I'm so glad you get to be personally involved with your precious ones.

emlee51 06-20-2012 07:15 PM

Those bonding trips are such sweet memories. I have three all-boy grandsons. If it doesn't involve a ball, they're not interested.

MimiBug123 06-20-2012 08:27 PM

Some of my most precious memories are of sitting in my grandmother's lap as she treadled away on her old Singer. That machine has a place of honor in my living room today, and even though she's been gone for many years, I can still feel her love around me when I use it. I don't think I'll ever be as efficient as she was on it, but I sure would like to show her how I can use my Janome now because of what she taught me.

Pat G 06-20-2012 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by jeanharville (Post 5304326)
You are so lucky to get to be with you grandchildren. Mine have lived all over the world and the US and therefore we don't get to see each other often. However now that I'm retired, I get to go to the US gks homes three or more times a year. The overseas kids and I keep in touch through letter writing, DVD home movies, and FB. But these only keep us in touch. However as I write this, I'm thinking of how the DVD movies could be used to pass along hobby interests. Long distance grandparenting is more difficult. So I'm so glad you get to be personally involved with your precious ones.

Jean, it made me sad to hear how far away your g-kids are from you but isn't technology wonderful in how they can keep us closer. I can understand since I go south to Ariz. for 6 months so it's important to me to do all I can with mine when I am home.
My 22 yr. old g-son is here with me now for awhile. He spotted a quilt I'm using as a table cover right now & said he'd sure like a quilt like that in "manly" colors. He doesn't know it but yest. I picked up fabrics in manly colors for him. I had the start of a Ragtime quilt for him made with G-pa's (his namesake) old paint covered & battery acid stained jeans backed with red flannel. I did not enjoy working on it so I may not finish it.
Fri. my 23 yr. old g-dtr is coming for a cpl. of days. Next wk. my 8 yr. old g-son gets his turn. His dad said Michael would love to learn to sew too. I'm sure glad I don't have 20 g-kids. LOL. I'm sure buying a lot of groceries but it's worth it.

"emlee" I think you could have a blast with 3 g-sons, too. Mine have me out chasing snakes & looking for frogs. Good thing I was a tomboy. How about having them help you make beanbags for a game. I made about 6 bags today & plan to set up a cpl. of boxes & let them see how many ea. child can get the most bags in them. I have no idea how that will go over but I'll try

(I've tried to edit this post but don't know how it's going to show up). Very frustrating.

psailer 06-20-2012 11:49 PM

how precious... and you just wait "fishin gma" she will love to sew and you will love to teach her. smile...