Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To fix or not to fix--that is the question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fix-not-fix-question-t250041.html)

Jeanne S 07-13-2014 02:04 PM

Since you asked him what he wanted I think you should do as he asked. I also understand wanting to preserve this little bit of history, so I like the previous suggestion of photographing it, both sides, for posterity, before you fix it.

romanojg 07-14-2014 02:33 PM

If you fix his flaws it becomes your quilt not his. He did this when he was young and it should reflect that. You could even put a lable on it showing when he did it and the pattern, etc so that his kids know. Let it remain his, none of us are perfect at any age. If you had a drawing or a project that he made in school, would you go back and make sure all the lines were colored in the right way and it was all perfect. My 4th son is now 27, in grade school they made self portrait magnents. I was shocked and laughed so hard when it came home from school. He always wore his hair short and spiked, you could see that but when I asked my toe head son why he made himself black, he very innocently said, all they had was white crayons and people aren't white so he chose black because people are black. Today that is on my fridge and is a treasured memory that still makes me smile when I see it.

Koriana 07-14-2014 02:52 PM

4 Attachment(s)
sewbizgirl...thanks for the suggestion to take photos. I hadn't laid it all out for several years and forgot the beauty of my son's fabric choices and layout. I'm now leaning toward finishing it as he designed, adding only borders and appliqued hibiscus or other jungle flowers in opposing corners to help it fit the jungle theme. I will name it "A Father's Vision Blooms". Looking at the pieces, my son had already ripped out and fixed the worst of the seams, but I have started taking the strip sets apart to straighten the seams and provide a consistent 1/4" seam allowance. Below are some pictures of my son's work with a close-ups of some problem areas. BTW, my son never asked me to finish the quilt for his daughter, it was my idea to do something with it to pass it on to his child(ren). My son had forgotten that the pieces were still sitting around in my sewing room. Anyway, thanks to everyone for all your input. It's appreciated.:wave:

ILoveToQuilt 07-14-2014 03:30 PM

Just my opionion, but finish it the way he intended it to be made. If some of the seams are too close to the edge, back them with fusible to stabilize them, but don't unsew them. I wouldn't add anything (you mentioned flowers in the corners) to the quilt except for what your son already had cut. Granted, if you don't have enough fabric to complete the quilt, try to match his fabrics as closely as you can. I always loved browns and teals! This is going to be beautiful!

GrammaNan 07-14-2014 04:54 PM

I have two adult sons. Here is my honest opinion. If your son is a perfectionist, as you stated, he will want you to "straighten it out". I am afraid if you don't, the quilt will end up on a closet shelf. He will be embarrassed by his work even though he was young when he worked on it. Mom may see it is a cute but he will see it as a failure. It is still his work since he picked out the pattern and the colors. I suggest you straighten it out and finish it.

barny 07-14-2014 04:57 PM

I would try to leave it as is as much as I could. Try to make it a workable quilt, but only what it takes to complete it. When you get older, it will mean an awful lot to you to look at.

bj 07-14-2014 05:14 PM

Is there any way to put his bits together and finish a smaller version for the center and then add a border/s to make it the size you want? As a keepsake to pass on, I think his kids would love it.

momof4 07-15-2014 02:26 AM

Hi Koriana,
I had a similar experience as your son. When I was in my teens I made a log cabin quilt that did not square up. So frustrated, I put it away and it never saw the light of day from me. Many years later my mom secretly had it finished for me - squared and reassembled. This meant so much to me. I know I would not have liked it to be finished as it was originally (sounds like your son). I am now going to give it to my grandson. I hope this helps in your decision.

maviskw 07-15-2014 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by ShelleyCS (Post 6798541)
I'm divided on this, but since your son said he wants it "straightened out," I'd be inclined to keep it as true to his design as possible rather than anything else. It's basically his work as a child and he seems to want to keep it at some level. I'd probably rip apart and re-sew the worst of it and then finish it so he can claim to his child that it was (mostly) his childhood project. But that's me.

I'm in this camp. Fix the worst parts, and finish it. He'll love it, and so will his child.

maggie_1936 07-15-2014 07:25 AM

finish it, he'll have wonderful memories of working on it