Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   To fix or not to fix--that is the question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fix-not-fix-question-t250041.html)

Koriana 07-13-2014 04:05 AM

To fix or not to fix--that is the question

Hey, everyone, I need your thoughts on an unfinished quilt. When my son was 12, he started making a quilt. It's a brown & teal mini trip around the world using the Tradition with a Twist method. He's a bit of a perfectionist and got frustrated and never finished the quilt. I'd like to finish it for him to have for his children (he and his wife just had their first child). His seams are inconsistent (varying from 1/2" to the edge of the patch). I've gotten different advice from just a few people. Some say fix it and make it as perfect as you can while others have said to only fix what's necessary for the integrity of the finished project. I have see-sawed back and forth and thus it remains in the UFO pile. I asked my son and he said that he'd like it to be straightened out but I'd like to keep his work as much as possible. I was thinking that maybe I could use various sections of his work for the backdrop for an applique project. They have a jungle theme in their nursery. I think this would allow me to keep much of his work while the viewer's eye would be more drawn to the jungle animals and the crooked seams can be worked in as part of the design element. I'd love to hear thoughts from board members. Thanks.

Barb in Louisiana 07-13-2014 04:16 AM

How serious a person is your son? Sounds like he knows what he prefers. Please listen to your son.

Most women like to see how we have progressed. Men want a finished product and if their name is associated with it, they want it to be something no one would tease them about. If you want that first incomplete project like it is, then save it and share with his child later on as you teach the child to quilt. Meanwhile, make something new, from you, for the nursery.

ShelleyCS 07-13-2014 04:19 AM

I'm divided on this, but since your son said he wants it "straightened out," I'd be inclined to keep it as true to his design as possible rather than anything else. It's basically his work as a child and he seems to want to keep it at some level. I'd probably rip apart and re-sew the worst of it and then finish it so he can claim to his child that it was (mostly) his childhood project. But that's me.

sahm4605 07-13-2014 04:21 AM

I agree do as your son has asked. Or you could always add a border around the too small blocks so that his work is all there with just a little help from mom.

nanna-up-north 07-13-2014 04:22 AM

I agree with Barb. Why would you ask him what he wanted if you are going to ignore his request? Fix it for him. He'll love it. You probably have other things that he made when he was young that will remind you of his childhood imperfections. But now he is a man and wants his quilt to be as perfect as is possible.

Jackie Spencer 07-13-2014 04:22 AM

I love your idea, and would go with that. Make his child something from his project!

giquilt 07-13-2014 04:22 AM

I have a project my son started years ago 80s on my wall in my sewing room it was to be a pillow with his name (Kyle) on it. It still says K Y L. Love it!

But I could see using it as a background. He might not appreciate it now but his child will later!

ManiacQuilter2 07-13-2014 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by ShelleyCS (Post 6798541)
I'm divided on this, but since your son said he wants it "straightened out," I'd be inclined to keep it as true to his design as possible rather than anything else. It's basically his work as a child and he seems to want to keep it at some level. I'd probably rip apart and re-sew the worst of it and then finish it so he can claim to his child that it was (mostly) his childhood project. But that's me.

It would be ME TOO !! It might not be easy for you to do but he did tell you what he wanted. It doesn't have to be perfect. He could share this with his child and maybe your grandchild will ask you to help him make a quilt.

lfstamper 07-13-2014 04:26 AM

Take a picture before so you can remember the original work. You could print this on fabric and put it on the back. Then do as he requested. Have fun!

toverly 07-13-2014 04:31 AM

Fix it, he'll love it! It can be what his mind's eye saw years ago as a child.