Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flannel fabrics... what do YOU use them for? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flannel-fabrics-what-do-you-use-them-t35882.html)

QBeth 02-03-2010 09:14 AM

I used flannel from Joann's for a pieced baby quilt and NEVER again! Maybe it was the quality of the fabric? It ravelled, stretched, puckered, you name it, while sewing. Worse yet, after being used for a couple of weeks, it went all pilly!

Boston1954 02-03-2010 09:31 AM

I only have used flannel once. I put it on the back of a doggie themed quilt. The fabric had doggies on it and it is oh so soft. Mostly I stick to regular cotton though.

Chasing Hawk 02-03-2010 10:30 AM

I like to use flannel for the quilts I make for my grandchildren. I just love the feel of it. I also make my pajama pants out of them too.

Margie 02-03-2010 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by QBeth
I used flannel from Joann's for a pieced baby quilt and NEVER again! Maybe it was the quality of the fabric? It ravelled, stretched, puckered, you name it, while sewing. Worse yet, after being used for a couple of weeks, it went all pilly!

I know what you are talking about...however, they seem to carry three grades. The cuddle flannels are ok, but when they have the quilters flannel, they are really nice. there is not as much of a variety in the quilters flannels(esp for children) but the quality is so much nicer.

Margie

QBeth 02-03-2010 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Margie

Originally Posted by QBeth

I know what you are talking about...however, they seem to carry three grades. The cuddle flannels are ok, but when they have the quilters flannel, they are really nice. there is not as much of a variety in the quilters flannels(esp for children) but the quality is so much nicer.Margie

Thanks for the info. I'll take a better look next time I go to Joann's although I sitll may not use flannel again. I like fleece so much better!

Rina 02-03-2010 11:18 AM

I use them for rag quilts.

shaverg 02-03-2010 11:23 AM

I sometimes use flanel for the back of baby quilts.

Olivia's Grammy 02-03-2010 11:24 AM

I use flannel alot. I make recieving blankets by crocheting around them. I've made quilts with flannel. That one is on my bed now. Jammies. I use it behind redwork so the threads don't show. I even use it instead of batting in quilts. Read recently, probably on this board, to use it in placements instead of batting. I use it as backing. My DS has a flannel robe I made him many years ago. I have one also. I have made flannel dresses and jumpers for myself. That was before the hot flashes.

life is sweet 02-03-2010 11:32 AM

I use good quality flannel all the time for baby quilts. It's especially nice combined with chenille for a quick, precious little quilt. Wish I could post pix of some baby quilts I've made using flannel and chenille, but alas! I'm too busy sewing to figure out how to transfer from camera to computer! I'm only here now because I had to stop for a quick sandwich. Have a blast everyone! Don't you just LOVE quilting???

LoisN 02-03-2010 11:38 AM

I use flannel for the Puff Quilts that I make for baby gifts. There is another under "pictures" with a couple of pictures of the Puff Quilts. They are VERY soft. So soft that my father-in-law had me make him a Golf Quilt. Perfect for napping after 18 holes.