Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   flat-headed pins (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flat-headed-pins-t171168.html)

Anna O 12-07-2011 07:22 AM

I love the flower head pins for general use. I use the no melt ones (they look like a button) when I know I will be pressing.

AliKat 12-07-2011 07:45 AM

Due to my arthritis I use them a lot. However, I don't use them when sewing but use only a few short applique pins then. The flat head pins seemed thicker and I didn't like sewing with them as I wanted more precision. So, I just take a bit more time. Oh well.

ali

cmw0829 12-07-2011 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok (Post 4758611)
I use only the flat head/flower pins. They are not all the same though. THe Dritz one, are NOT very sharp. Nor are the Fons & Porter or Singer pins. I prefer Bohin or Collins.

So far, I haven't had a problem with my Dritz pins but I think they melt - so will be replaced. (There are Dritz flower heads marked "no melt" technology. I didn't buy those.)

I returned those Fons and Porter pins I mentioned in another thread that I had to push and shove through the fabric. (100 pins purchased in a tin from Joann's.) They took them back - no questions asked.

Buzzy Bee 12-07-2011 08:02 AM

I love my Fons and Porter flat head pins...In fact when I bought them it was because I loved the little tin they came in....Then after using them,,,I fell in love !!!! I will be on the look out for the other brands now !!!! Do they come in pretty tins ??? LOL

cmw0829 12-07-2011 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by Buzzy Bee (Post 4759615)
I love my Fons and Porter flat head pins...In fact when I bought them it was because I loved the little tin they came in....Then after using them,,,I fell in love !!!! I will be on the look out for the other brands now !!!! Do they come in pretty tins ??? LOL

Buzzy, you're lucky because others have mentioned problems with the Fons and Porter pins. One member said that they produce different quality pins for different outlets, so maybe Joann's doesn't carry the premier pins.

I also bought them because I loved the tin. :)

jgriinke 12-07-2011 09:35 AM

I use mine all the time.

Aurora 12-08-2011 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by cmw0829 (Post 4757438)
Well, I suppose I answered my own dilemna. Dritz has multi-colored flower head pins advertized as "no melt" whereas there is no such notation on the yellow flower head pins. Think I'll do a test tonight!

Make sure they're no melt or at very least heat resistant.

This is why I only use "glass head pins" . I learned that lesson a long time ago. The glass head pins are long and fine as well and I can feel them, so I seldom leave one in my sewing. One other thing that concerns me is that the flat head could easily come off the pin and send the top of the pin through my finger.

so-sew 12-08-2011 04:13 AM

I'm so happy to hear all this positive feedback....they're on my shopping list now!

quilt3311 12-08-2011 04:17 AM

I use them a lot and love them.

supergma 12-08-2011 04:42 AM

I love my flathead pins. Have used them for years.