Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Flooring question--need help! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/flooring-question-need-help-t260278.html)

carolynjo 01-26-2015 08:35 AM

Hard surface floor; no carpet.

crafterrn1 01-26-2015 08:40 AM

I wanted laminate floors but the concrete slab is uneven and cold. So I went with a shart pile carpet. I love being warm. The dog loves sleeping on it. It will be a plus for resale! Luann

MargeD 01-26-2015 08:59 AM

Definitely NO carpeting. Hardwood floors will allow you to get all those threads, fabric snippets, pins, etc. that fall on the floor, despite how careful you are. Also, you won't run the risk of accidentally stepping on a pin or needle and have it wind up in your foot, I speak from experience, and at the end of the day you can just sweep everything up and you have a neat floor again. Also if you have a chair with wheels, they work better on a hard surface, that's why they make those acrylic mats for under office chairs. That said, congratulations on getting a new and improved sewing space.

madamekelly 01-26-2015 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by Mamaw322 (Post 7063326)
Definitely hardwood!

A hard surface will be better for cleaning and finding dropped things, but I would add a small rug under the ironing board, and other spots to give a softer surface to stand on, and soft place for fur babies to lay on, and will add warmth visually.

joyce blint 01-26-2015 09:56 AM

If you use a chair w rollers, it will slide easier on a hard surface.

nannyrick 01-26-2015 10:02 AM

I agree with all that say, "hardwood". Just take the swiffer and Voila. The floor is clean.

gale 01-26-2015 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by tropit (Post 7064427)
Sewnoma, I'm curious about your memory foam rug. Please describe further. Where did you get that?

OH...and as for the vote...I'll go with hardwood floors. I haven't had carpet in years. My last house had saltillo tiles and this house is still being built, so I only have plywood subfloors at this point. (I DON"t recommend that!) The hardwood will be a lot easier to keep clean.

~ Cindy

I found a pretty nice memory foam rug at Sam's Club. It's meant for a bathroom (which is where I put it) but maybe I'll get another for my cutting table. I like the idea. I've seen kitchen ones at stores but they don't seem as plush as the bathroom ones.

cathyvv 01-26-2015 10:33 AM

hard floors clean easier. You can put an area rug in if you need more warmth. another option, especially if your sewing room is on a slab floor, is to put tile in and have radiant heat installed under it. The room would be very toasty in the winter!

debbiemarie 01-26-2015 10:59 AM

It's so easy to lose pins and small items in the carpet, much easier to sweep up the threads with a broom. I hate having to take my vacumn cleaner apart and removing all the threads.

bee3 01-26-2015 11:25 AM

If you go with hardwood, you can always throw a throw rug down for warmth.