Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FMQers Don't Do This!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fmqers-dont-do-t228153.html)

Sneed 08-17-2013 09:53 AM

FMQers Don't Do This!!

2 Attachment(s)
I would imagine that most FMQers have done this to some degree or another, BUT if I can save just ONE from going through this I believe it is worth my time to post these pictures. I was on the very last edge of a wall hanging that I have been working on. When FMQing it is so important to make sure that your extra backing lies smoothly and does not fold over and get stitched down. I KNOW this to be true so I don't know if the excitement of almost being done or just pure stupidity caused me to do this, but what a nightmare. Now I must gingerly pick at these tiny little stitches and try very hard not to put a nick or a rip into the backing with my 'oh so sharp seam ripper' because that would just about be "all she wrote." Last night I picked a little out until my neck became stiff as a board and my eye twitched like my cat's tail while watching a bird out the window. It's going to take me awhile to get this out. Wish me luck...I'll post pictures of the finished product if I'm able to win. As the first picture shows I was almost finished. The second is the big OOPS!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]430723[/ATTACH]

nativetexan 08-17-2013 10:03 AM

Oh my word. Yes we do. so sorry!!

Lori S 08-17-2013 10:08 AM

SO sorry for your oops, but your FMQ is beautiful! Just keep telling yourself .. it could have been worse.

mandyrose 08-17-2013 10:17 AM

so sorry that happen to you....and I do know about that..........been there done that......onley thing my fmq was not as beautiful as yours..

MadQuilter 08-17-2013 10:23 AM

I did something like that on my last project and it chapped my bacon having to rip all those tiny stitches. It just sucks when we make those kind of blunders. Thanks for sharing.

cindi 08-17-2013 10:29 AM

Oh, my. So sorry this happened...and welcome to the "Well, THAT won't ever happen again!" club. It's always nice to have new members....but we never like the reason you get to join. Frogging stinks.

dunster 08-17-2013 10:29 AM

Yes, been there, done that, and sorry it happened to you.

bearisgray 08-17-2013 10:33 AM

Your other quilting is lovely. Unsewing is such a task!!

Quilter 65 08-17-2013 10:34 AM

Your quilting is beautiful. Sort of like carefully cutting out a piece of fabric, fussy cut, and then it getting on the cutting mat under the next few cuts and suddenly it's spaghetti!

ktbb 08-17-2013 10:35 AM

depending on how large the area is, you might square up that edge of the quilt and thus reduce the amount of unsewing you need to do. It will mean being careful when you re=quilt it...but when I did it, I squared up that one side, then put a piece of wash away stabilizer under the area I was re-quilting and it came out fine. the rest of your work is amazing....don't get discouraged over this bump in the road.