Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fractured bargello jacket (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fractured-bargello-jacket-t235178.html)

Tink's Mom 11-21-2013 05:39 AM

I have made jackets out of the sweatshirts from Walmart, too...I ended up putting a band on the bottom on 2 of them. The third one, I left the band on. and stretched it a bit to make it square. Worked well.
BTW, I turn my sweatshirt inside out to stitch on. This way the "lining" of the jacket is the outside of the original sweatshirt instead of the fleecy inside of the shirt.

sewmom 11-21-2013 07:43 AM

I made a jacket with a sweatshirt and they always say to cut off the ribbing which makes the sleeves and jacket too short. So I added additional sweatshirt fabric to the original before starting the quilting part.

mighty 11-21-2013 07:52 AM

It is really beautiful, I would add a band and it will be perfect!

charsuewilson 11-21-2013 09:13 AM

I'd add a band or several on the bottom. The jacket is way too short for me. This pattern calls for removing the bottom band from the sweatshirt, that's how it ends up too short. I'd add at least the distance from the bottom of the sleeve length to the middle of your hand (3-4"), but if it were for me, I'd make it as long as my fingertips (7-8"). My measurements assume that the sleeve length is correct, that it will go down to a wrist watch on your arm.

Pat M. 11-21-2013 10:20 AM

I always buy an XXL Mens sweatshirt. That way it is long enough, I use a jacket pattern to cut out the sleeves and jacket body.

Froggiey 11-21-2013 10:47 AM

I wish I had know all of this before I started. Thank you all so much!

carolstickelmaier 11-21-2013 02:31 PM

Don't forget to buy a mens sweatshirt at least one size larger than you wear due to the fabric you take up in the seams. I usually look for a mens tall also. So far no problems in length.

ktbb 11-21-2013 02:42 PM

I've extended the length on a sweatshirt jacket as carol mentions here and it worked out beautifully. There are a couple of ways of doing it, but it's works well -

Originally Posted by carolstickelmaier (Post 6416139)
Not sure why it is short. Did you cut it that way? You can add fabric to bottom doubled with batting in between. It will be fine. How are you finishing the edges. I usually finish with binding. Are you closing with zipper? It looks very nice and I am sure she will love it. I make several of the jackets each year. I like how you did yours and if you don't mind, think I will try your piecing next time. The colors also look "rich". Good Job!

charsuewilson 11-21-2013 03:51 PM

If you're going to buy a sweatshirt too big and use a jacket pattern, why not just buy fleece in the first place?

carolstickelmaier 11-21-2013 06:05 PM

I may be mistaken but I don't believe that fabric is available most places and it would take somewhere around 3 yards of 40" fabric to make a jacket. That in itself would price it out of my range. Sweatshirts are anywhere from 9.00 to 15.00 where I live and cheaper on sale. Not sure what it cost in other areas of our country or the availability of the fabric. Could be its a cheaper route in your area.

Originally Posted by charsuewilson (Post 6417552)
If you're going to buy a sweatshirt too big and use a jacket pattern, why not just buy fleece in the first place?