Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fractured bargello jacket (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fractured-bargello-jacket-t235178.html)

mengler 11-22-2013 04:58 AM

[QUOTE=Froggiey;6416068]YI was making this for my sister. The directions said just use a sweatshirt. The only place I could find one was at Walmart. You could buy another sweatshirt and get your extra fabric from it. They aren't too expensive and it would be a perfect match.

mengler 11-22-2013 05:03 AM

These patterns usually suggest getting a sweatshirt a size larger than needed.

mengler 11-22-2013 05:07 AM

Joann's has sweatshirt fabric in several colors. Recently it was on sale for 9$ a yard - 60 inches wide. A yard should do it. I make 40" sq dog blankets. Not too bad price wise.

danlynmartin 11-22-2013 05:21 AM

I always use a man's sweatshirt and you will have not trouble with length. Mind you you don't have the variety of colors but you can usually find some lighter ones as well as black, grey and white.

mhollifiel 11-22-2013 05:55 AM

I was in your shoes last year. I had saved the labels from men's shirts I used in quilting and wanted to sew them randomly on a sweatshirt but. . . ALAS, it was too short. I took left over shirt squares and sewed them along the edge on the diagonal overlapping about 1/3 to 1/2. I didn't finish the edges as it was just an experiment but it turned out great.

What I would do is take two little blocks of each next or continuing bargello print from the line in the jacket above and continue the line down by sewing the 2 blocks right sides together (three sides) to finish the edges. Turn and press then attach each raw edge of each block below the appropriate line. You wouldn't even have to make them even since it's bargello. You could either leave that inside seam along the bottom or bind it inside to finish. That would just continue the bargello effect.

SandySews 11-22-2013 05:57 AM

I make jackets on sweatshirts and if I want it longer I take a piece of Warm and Natural batting the length I need and butt it up against the bottom of the sweatshirt. A wide zigzag stitch sews them together so that when I cover the shirt it is as long as I need it to be. I do put the hem up to the sweatshirt so as to not expose the batting.

madamekelly 11-22-2013 08:47 AM

For some stupid reason, Walmart sells really short sweatshirts for women. I just buy the men's. They are always cut longer for some reason.

Quilter 65 11-22-2013 11:24 AM

Your jacket creation is beautiful. Such pretty colors and so precisely made. I think a band would be great.

trolleystation 11-22-2013 11:39 AM

Very nice jacket. Short jackets are in style this year.

tessagin 11-22-2013 11:45 AM

Have her try it on and go from there. Then Ditto

Originally Posted by MaryMo (Post 6416253)
Maggiemay .... your jacket is so beautiful! The band around the bottom sets it off perfectly.

Froggiey .... IMHO, finishing your jacket similarly would be a solution to your querry.