Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fun & Done (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fun-done-t16894.html)

Mountainquilter 02-26-2009 06:52 PM

that sounds easy enough, will have to try it.

it would be fun to have everyone make one and post a picture of their block/quilt

butterflywing 02-26-2009 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by SC
Has anyone here ever made a "Fun & Done" quilt using Batting Buddy templates?

after hearing about it from friends, i watched the video on bayside quilting and decided i could do it by using a 6" square and a 9" square. since dh has cut these out of plastic for me anyway, i gave it a try for 3 blocks. it was easy to do. give it a test-run before you buy another template. i know i'm template-d out. i put it on my 'to do' list

Rox17 02-27-2009 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by butterflywing

Originally Posted by SC
Has anyone here ever made a "Fun & Done" quilt using Batting Buddy templates?

after hearing about it from friends, i watched the video on bayside quilting and decided i could do it by using a 6" square and a 9" square. since dh has cut these out of plastic for me anyway, i gave it a try for 3 blocks. it was easy to do. give it a test-run before you buy another template. i know i'm template-d out. i put it on my 'to do' list

Did this make a wider sashing?

Mountainquilter 02-27-2009 04:24 AM

This should give you another inch of sashing, it might be too much of a sashing, depending upon your design of the square.

Will be giving it a try today with some of my scraps and will let everyone know how it works.

I want to try it before I by the templates, as I have so many know that I don't use.

butterflywing 02-27-2009 07:52 AM

rox17
mountainquilter

that was the size i used because i wanted to test-drive. it did give a wider sashing, but it made it easier to turn under a little more allowance .

it can be done with any size templates, as long as you use templates with corner to corner lines. i would try with 1" but not less, because you need to turn under your 1/4", and why make it harder? n my case, i turned under more.

quiltease 02-27-2009 08:13 AM

Okay, I'm a bit confused. I understand the concept, easy to construct once the pieces are sewn on, but do you mark the batting for piece placement? How do you know exactly where to put the pieces? I do paper piecing so I understand sewing onto another fabric, or paper, or whatever, but there is always a pattern to follow.
Thanks for the help.
bev.

Debbie1 02-27-2009 08:46 AM

I just bought one this morning. Watched the video and thought it would be easy. Are you sure you don't work for Bayside????

peel 02-27-2009 08:50 AM

hi sc
made fun and done with templates. used leftover bom from a group i belonged to. they come out great. don't know if i want to add borders in the same way, the regular way or not at all. In fact thinking of making my sons t-shirt the fun and done way. researching it a little more before I commit.

peel

peel 02-27-2009 08:53 AM

hi sc, i made a mistake hope i can resend this
made fun and done without templates. used leftover bom from a group i belonged to. they come out great. don't know if i want to add borders in the same way, the regular way or not at all. In fact thinking of making my sons t-shirt the fun and done way. researching it a little more before I commit.

peel

butterflywing 02-27-2009 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by quiltease
Okay, I'm a bit confused. I understand the concept, easy to construct once the pieces are sewn on, but do you mark the batting for piece placement? How do you know exactly where to put the pieces? I do paper piecing so I understand sewing onto another fabric, or paper, or whatever, but there is always a pattern to follow.
Thanks for the help.
bev.

bev....
the way i did it was i just folded the backing diagonally and then the top the same way. i finger pressed. i put my batting right behind the top and layed it out so that the diagonal lines from the top and the backing matched up.

i just didn't want to spend more money on a specialized template.