Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fun at local quilt show. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fun-local-quilt-show-t299644.html)

nativetexan 09-19-2018 03:24 PM

ha, ha. they wanted to see how the other half lived? oh well, they made it. Quilts stick to you!!

JustAbitCrazy 09-19-2018 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8129728)
I didn't say in the first post but they were there to buy a quilt. Don't know why. One young lady said they wanted a real quilt not one sold in a store. another LOL.

Hey, I give them credit for knowing the difference between the quilts we make and the Chinese imports you can buy for $50. Maybe they have prior experience with the one eighth inch seams shredding and the quilts falling apart in the first wash. A quilter I know has been approached to "fix" one of those disasters, lol. She said, "No can do. There're no seam allowances. You get what you pay for, sorry."

Cyndi W 09-19-2018 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've only been quilting for a few months... Sewed my whole life thanks to a seamstress grandma and my mother who could rival my grandmother's skills. The quilt that inspired me was in a live auction at a fundraising event in the town next to us. And yes I bought it for far less than I think it's really worth but it is loved in my house :-) You can never beat hand made quality.[ATTACH=CONFIG]601353[/ATTACH]

quiltingshorttimer 09-19-2018 08:26 PM

while they were perhaps less informed than most of us, I think it's great that they were there looking at quilts! While I admire the precision that goes into traditional quilts like a Baltimore Album (and would whole heartedly welcome the gift of one!) I too prefer many of the modern quilts. I think part of that is due to my love of quilting--and the way modern quilts typically have so much "negative space" to quilt away in.

sewbizgirl 09-19-2018 09:02 PM

When I first started quilting, I was ‘all about’ the modern quilts. Now that I’ve been quilting for several years, I’ve come to appreciate and love more traditional quilting.

Ariannaquilts 09-19-2018 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl (Post 8129945)
When I first started quilting, I was ‘all about’ the modern quilts. Now that I’ve been quilting for several years, I’ve come to appreciate and love more traditional quilting.

For years I wanted to learn how to make a quilt but I just didn't like the "old fashioned " style especially because my home decor was totally modern. Then once I started just like sewbizgirl said I began to love traditional as well as the modern. Here I am 20 plus years and I make whatever design draws me to it.

ArtsyOne 09-20-2018 02:15 AM

Love the beautiful house quilt! I can appreciate the amount of work that goes into a Baltimore Album, but I have too short of an attention span to make one myself. Currently working on a Hunters Star and after 36 blocks it's starting to wear on me.

Karamarie 09-20-2018 02:16 AM

Kind of like you can buy just about anything you want but some things are like homemade bread versus store bought bread. Which do you prefer?

quilterpurpledog 09-20-2018 03:01 AM

And, I remember standing behind ladies at a quilt show in Lancaster, PA in the early '90's who said that machine quilted quilts shouldn't be allowed in the show! Ladies, we have come a long way, haven't we? I, for one, love them all! I always aspire to new things. I hope you are, also.

NikkiLu 09-20-2018 04:27 AM

Our daughter lives in Paducah and we go to the big Quilt Show every year. My husband said the first year that he thought the average age of the quilters was about 70. Fast forward to last year and he said that there were much younger ladies there - they had orange or blue or green or fuschia colored hair with tattoos and lots of piercings. Don't know what kinds of quilts they were interested in though - probably the modern ones.