Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fun at local quilt show. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fun-local-quilt-show-t299644.html)

Maureen 09-20-2018 04:59 AM

Outstanding, beautiful quilt. Wow!

SusieQOH 09-20-2018 05:12 AM

When I started quilting in the 80's they were mostly traditional but I've evolved since then. I love a lot of the modern designs and have started FMQ. I love it all.

judykay 09-20-2018 06:40 AM

Eventually our modern quilts are going to be in the antique category. Would be interesting to hear comments about them

FEO360 09-20-2018 03:19 PM

My wife is part of the in between generation - likes some of the modern and also likes many traditional quilts.

We've seen many beautiful examples of both in quilt shows and shops in various states over the years.

petthefabric 09-20-2018 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by Doggramma (Post 8129691)
How fun. I always think it's great to see young people interested in quilts (or antiques in antique malls!). A number of years ago I was worried quilting might fade into the distance because it was pretty much older people doing it.

How can we encourage these young people to get involved? The youth are the future of quilting.

Kelsie 09-20-2018 06:05 PM

I found out that the daughter of a young family in the neighbour was taking sewing lessons. I was very surprised and hoping to encourage her to continue I passed on thread and fabric to her.

cashs_mom 09-20-2018 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Jordan (Post 8129638)
It is probably just the new generation that doesn't understand the satisfaction that us quilters get from sewing "old fashion" quilts. Maybe you are right-just going to the quilt show is a start and will give them a jump start on quilting.

I"m finding the the new generation doesn't do much with their hands. They don't make or create much at all. I find that really sad. My husband was part of the truck group and I was surprised and impressed that there was a group of younger guys that actually worked on their own vehicles and not just for repairs but for perforrnance mods. It used to be the norm that people knew how to make things and do things with their hands, but it doesn't seem to be any more.

Maire 09-20-2018 07:11 PM

Cyndi W-I love that quilt!

Rhonda Lee 09-21-2018 10:12 AM

What a unique and wonderful quilt. Beautiful and thanks for sharing.

I have a blended family of seven; my 4 children (3 daughters and 1 son) and my husbands 3 children (one daughter and 2 sons). All are married. Out of that mix, one daughter in law has shown some interest in quilting.

They all have an appreciation of arts and crafts and love what I create, however, they do not sew, mend, or hem or have much to do with a needle and thread be it hand or machine, except the previously mentioned daughter. All are extremely busy folks and time is precious to them. In this instant gratification society of my family members, somehow the quilting or creative bug got lost.

But I have two granddaughters that love it and are constantly in my sewing studio, so I guess all is not lost!