Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good Pair of Scissors? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-pair-scissors-t251619.html)

Texas_Sue 08-12-2014 04:38 AM

My Gingher are the best and I've tried other brands as well. They work very well and if you have a scissor sharpener man that comes to quilt shows or fabric stores occasionally (every 3 or 4 years) they maintain their cutting edge well

Susan

Sewnoma 08-12-2014 05:08 AM

I have a pair of big Gingher shears and I love them for their look and feel. I know, that's not what scissors are for, but there's something about how solid they are that I just love, and the classic chrome reminds me of my grandmother's sewing scissors so I feel sentimental about them even though they aren't actually her scissors. Mine are a newer pair - I hear complaints about newer Ginghers but I must have gotten lucky; mine slice through all 3 layers of a quilt like it's tissue paper. (So they're not JUST pretty; they also work very very well)

BUT! That heavy solid heft I like so much does definitely make my hands tired if I have to do a lot of cutting. If I'm going to be doing a lot of cutting or already have tired/sore hands, my Kai scissors are my go-to scissors. They cut like a dream too, and are so much lighter and much more comfortable in my hands!

donnajean 08-12-2014 05:13 AM

My larger Gingher shears are at least 50 yrs. old & still cut beautifully as I never cut anything but fabric with them. At my sewing machine I use Mundial med size shears.

sewvic 08-12-2014 05:27 AM

I absolutely love Kai Scissors. They can be found online at kaiscissors.com They are a wee bit more expensive than some of the other brands but, IMHO, are worth every penny. Always free (and fast) shipping and they have a policy that you can send them back to be sharpened free forever. They make many different types of scissors, so take a look at their Website.

calla 08-12-2014 05:31 AM

Karen Buckley all sizes.......the blades have little teeth that grip the fabric

jdiane318 08-12-2014 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6839113)
I like Kai scissors.

I have Ginghers that have lasted well over 32+ years. My new favorite is KAI, also. Cutting fabric is such a fluid experience, life a hot knife slicing butter. Well worth the money. I got mine from The Scissorman, Mike Rappoport. The costs usually include the shipping as well.

Pete 08-12-2014 09:14 AM

Karen Kay Bickley or Kai. Gingher are too heavy.

Chaney Ranch 08-12-2014 10:06 AM

Thanks for all the great input and suggestions! I knew I could count on y'all to help me make a wise choice!!!

Stitchit123 08-12-2014 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 6839113)
I like Kai scissors.

I just googled these and they are really quite affordable and they are having a sale and they have a promo code So I will be putting in an order on a couple different pairs. Thank you all for recommending this brand. My Gingher and Weiss are all 50 yrs+ in age and they are getting to feel heavy. And I cannot find any one to sharpen the pinking or the scallop blades? any more.

QuiltnLady1 08-12-2014 11:00 AM

I have Weiss, Ginger, Kai, Karen Kay Buckley and Fiskars -- as well as some no-names that I bought at a quilt show. I use Fiskars spring loaded when I am going through several layers. I love the Karen Kay Buckley and Kai -- the weight is great and I use them mostly for trimming. If I am trimming curves, nothing beats the Karen Kay Buckley serrated edges (I used to use pinking shears for this, but no more). I have some small, no name curved tips that I use at the sewing machine to trim thread -- they have big holes and thin points and they do a great job. Have tried to replace them with Ginger and Havels and no luck (hence, I have a collection).