Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   goodwill (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/goodwill-t78500.html)

jlong 11-24-2010 04:24 PM

I look at our Goodwill every time I'm there. It's a hit or miss store. I have found fabric on two of my trips. It is usually hidden in with the sheets, curtains, bedspreads, etc. I love the hunt.

hlponyfarm 11-24-2010 05:02 PM

yup thats where I found my stuff. I got a really nice peice of a bright blue batik I havent measured it yet but it is at least 2 yards and not the thin stuff!

bluteddi 11-24-2010 06:30 PM

Goodwill is always hit or miss... But, it's still the first place I look for fabrics,etc.

carrieg 11-24-2010 06:39 PM

Our goodwill is sorta messy. But I look weekly at a thrift store run by the hospice. Have found lots of great jackets there for $5. Fabric is limited, but they have some. It can be hard to find because they have it all rolled up. Definitely no batiks!

JETTA 11-25-2010 02:54 AM

Hospice is another place you may want to look for fabrics.

Holice 11-25-2010 05:15 AM

contact your regional/local headquarters for Goodwill and ask if fabric and textiles go to certain places. It appears that selective items go to selective places.

grann of 6 11-25-2010 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by hlponyfarm
Stopped into our local goodwill store this am to see if they had anything that I could use for quilting. and lo and behold! I found remnents hanging with the sheets and curtains. I got like 4 yards of navy blue cotton for 1.27. also got 5 others that were on nice colors, cotton and most were over a yard, all for under 1.27 each. Dont know if anyone has looked for fabric in there before but you cant beat the price!

I was at a Goodwill last week, they had a few pieces of fabric, nothing to write home about. I have another Goodwill in the other direction but never think to go in and check it out for fabric; I know they don't carry furniture, don't know about sewing machines. Guess I will have to start making it a practice of going in there when I go to my bank in the same shopping center.

quiltlin 11-25-2010 05:38 AM

I shop at the Goodwill and other thrift stores all the time. Yesterday I bought eight placemats for $1.50 and made four (4) casserole carriers as hostess gifts.

We did a plaid block swap and those who didn't have enough different plaids went shopping there and bought men's shirts. You'd be surprised how much fabric you get out of a shirt.

And, since I have a cute new granddaughter I've been buying cute cotton skirts in the adult section, the larger size the better, to make cute little dresses and overalls for her.

I think the clue to shopping at places like this is to look beyond the "real" purpose of the item.

sherriequilts 11-25-2010 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I work at Salvation Army, and we get a TON of fabric in all the time, but no one buys much of it around here. I wish we (employees) were allowed to shop in the store, I would have a HUGE collection!

You can't shop there. That is so unfair. At least, find a friend to do it for you. There's gotta be a solution.

quilt3311 11-25-2010 05:50 AM

I shop the Goodwill and Salvation Army shops. I found a box of buttons for $20. Now I am not talking a shoe box, but a large apple box. The kind grocery stores get apples in! The buttons were packaged in zip lock bags and we counted a couple bags, by multiplying we figured there are about 750,000 buttons. Now I am the go to person for buttons in our guild. grin.
I was told an elderly lady had passed away and her kids just told Salvation Army they could have it all. They cleaned up her apartment and were selling everything. They were told she had collected buttons for over 75 years and they had all been on cards etc. but they just tore them off and put them in bags. How I wish I had all those old button cards too.