Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   goodwill (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/goodwill-t78500.html)

Suzi 11-25-2010 05:53 AM

I LOVE shopping the Thrift stores with Salvation Army being my very favorite. Everything is clean and displayed well so you don't have to paw through it all to find goodies. Just picked up 5 yards of a delightful grey/white stripe for a backing ($1.99) and 2 smaller yardages for $1.00 each. Can you beat that??

Rettie V. Grama 11-25-2010 05:54 AM

I shop at the Salvation Army and have found many good buys on new fabric. They also have a lot of other neat things.

Originally Posted by Lori S
Ihave stopped into my Good Will on occasion. They never have any fabric or other quilt stuff. I think they donate it to another cause . They have had a few sewing machines.

Tinabodina 11-25-2010 06:10 AM

I check the GoodWill every time I go there for fabric. Sometimes I hit the jackpot, other times nothing. If you are looking for a sewing machine, they do not accept them anymore, according to the people at the donation door.

calicocat 11-25-2010 06:25 AM

I think there are sewers or quilters working at those Goodwill store where we poor folks never find any fabric. They get the fabric first. I know for a fact that is so at the local one near my house I work with her husband.

catmcclure 11-25-2010 06:58 AM

I've found a lot of fabric in Goodwill. Found a 4 yard piece of Vlisco onetime (lost wax process - costs about $20 a yard) for $4. It's now the back for my batik quilt. It makes the quilt totally reversible.

Rhonda 11-25-2010 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by mygirl66
I work at Salvation Army, and we get a TON of fabric in all the time, but no one buys much of it around here. I wish we (employees) were allowed to shop in the store, I would have a HUGE collection!

Have friend go in and get it for you! I wouldnt' pass it up.
If your friend buys it and gives it to you then you aren't breaking the rules.

Rhonda 11-25-2010 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Suzi
I LOVE shopping the Thrift stores with Salvation Army being my very favorite. Everything is clean and displayed well so you don't have to paw through it all to find goodies. Just picked up 5 yards of a delightful grey/white stripe for a backing ($1.99) and 2 smaller yardages for $1.00 each. Can you beat that??

Suzi where did you get your avatar?

lacikat 11-25-2010 08:23 AM

Beware of Sewing machines at Goodwill or thrift shops, I have bought 5, took them home and then had to return them as
they were all missing parts. I find a lot of fabric at our
Hospice sales shop.

Diane819 11-25-2010 08:45 AM

I'd find a good friend to shop for you if I were you. Money is money...........or significant other.

jdavis 11-25-2010 10:39 AM

My dental hygienist says she goes to Good Will, etc for wool coats to cut up for rug braiding. After hearing what all the ladies on the board have found there, I am trying to get over there to check it out. Recently my DH noticed a local GW having a grand opening (more like an expansion, I think). The other day when my DH and I were through with errands somewhat earlier than expected, I asked if he'd like to stop there. He looked at me like I was from Mars! I guess I'll have to wait until I'm out alone....which doesn't happen that much.