Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Got in a slump (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/got-slump-t91297.html)

yourstrulyquilts 01-18-2011 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by skavanau
I dont know whats the matter with me. Ever since Christmas Ive only sewn for maybe a day. Its like I think about patterns in my mind but I dont "get up" and do anything. Anybody every have this happen.

It's usually because I'm tired, stressed, or depressed. It's ok to take a breather. Just don't forget the path to your quilt area!

MyraYU 01-18-2011 04:36 PM

Being a nurse who worked in the Emergency Department for over 16 years, I can tell you that this is absolutely normal for a lot of people. I call it the post-holiday depression -- kind of like post-partum depression ("baby blues"). If this goes on for more than a month, you should be checked by your healthcare professional (aka, MD). Give yourself a little time. Make a list of what you would like to do or what you have started. Maybe that will get you going. Good luck.

penski 01-18-2011 05:57 PM

i think i am starting to come out of a slump like that, ive had it since Christmas!!

Annz 01-18-2011 07:42 PM

All the time that is why I need my quilting group that meets once a week for about 6 months out of the year.

Anne P 01-18-2011 07:49 PM

That's happened to me, too, but I'm thinking it's just the weather up here in Seattle. I retired this year so can't use th excuse that I'm worn out from teachiing, although I really, really miss it!
I am seriously considering buying a "sun" lamp. I know I feel a lot better when the weather is sunny. Has anyone else used one of these? Does it help?

laalaaquilter 01-18-2011 09:04 PM

I think it is the time of year. The holidays and weather drain me and I don't have anything more to give for a while. Try to get as much light in your face as possible, either sun or indoor. And cut yourself some slack! Your worthiness is not tied to how much progress you make on any project ;-)

Quiltaddict 01-18-2011 10:00 PM

I've been feeling like that for a while. The only time I sew anything lately is when we have a group sew in. I'm hoping this will pass, especially since I plan to retire in June and will have more time to quilt.

rob529 01-18-2011 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by skavanau
I dont know whats the matter with me. Ever since Christmas Ive only sewn for maybe a day. Its like I think about patterns in my mind but I dont "get up" and do anything. Anybody every have this happen.

Oh yes. Especially back in the day when I thought I had to make all my gifts. After Christmas it might be 3-4 months before I could stand the sight of my machine. I would cross stitch or crochet but not sew.

missionslady 01-18-2011 10:34 PM

I do. But I think it is kind of like rests amidst the notes on a music score. Our bodies just kick back for a little rest, and hopefully we emerge refreshed and ready to start our next project, or finish one we've started:-)

falcon 01-18-2011 11:09 PM

It happens to us all at sometime. We just need to recharge our batteries.