Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Great tip for 1/4 seam. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/great-tip-1-4-seam-t200388.html)

Brandi 09-15-2012 08:31 AM

What are commpany strips?

Friday1961 09-15-2012 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by jac (Post 5513175)
This strip would go right over my bobbin case so I would have to remove it every time I need a new bobbin.. Will the strip stick multiple times or would I have to replace the strip each time?

This is the problem I have with painter's tape. I finally marked a line on my machine with permanent marker....but guess what, it came up with a little fingernail polish remover on cotton and didn't mar the surface. I don't want something the fabric butts up against, such as sticky note pads, but just a guide line.

meadows102 09-15-2012 09:28 AM

Thanks for the tip. I have a 1/4 inch foot but I still have trouble getting my seam exactly right.

wordpaintervs 09-15-2012 02:15 PM

in desperation, don't forget that the lined (or ruled) 'index cards' are exactly 1/4 inch. Use them to mark your seams. Inexpensie solutions

kimg 09-15-2012 05:29 PM

I tried this today, and I love it....works great!! Thanks for sharing.

kimg 09-15-2012 05:31 PM

The command strip provides a guide that goes way beyond what the foot will do. I am using both.

echoemb 09-17-2012 08:15 AM

I had been using a magnetic strip that was OK. I set up the commando strips last night and I love it. With all the tips I have picked up off this list over the last year, my sewing has improved 100%.

jkrzemi 09-17-2012 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 5512180)
Bonnie Hunter blogged about this tip and I tried it and it works the best of all I've tried. Use the Command Strips as the sewing guide. No sticky on the machine and easy to take off. I have the 1/4 food with metal side guide but I like this much better. I can make the guide as long as I need, not just length of the foot. But I found an extra plus to this. If you can see the thread behind my needle the strip holds the thread out of my way after I cut it. I tend to get the thread in my way when I'm starting a new seam.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]362575[/ATTACH]

both sides of the strip are stickey. How do you keep the top part from being stickey
or should it be stickey? Hope this is not a real dumb question.

Janis 09-17-2012 11:11 PM

I bought some of the shorter replacement strips and got 20 in the package, I think. I am thinking of putting one of them on the feed dog cover plate and putting the other one butting up against it on the cover plate of my bobbin. That way I don't have to cut them. I can also but them up to each other end to end to make thee line longer on other machines. Or at least this is what I was thinking when I bought them. I was planning on leaving the side that sticks to the holder with the paper on it. Which side did you actually adhere to the machine, anyway?

BellaBoo 09-18-2012 08:33 AM

I use the picture hanging refills that have the paper pull off on the back, one side is sticky one side is pebbled.