Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grrrr - what we won't do for our kids!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grrrr-what-we-wont-do-our-kids-t155555.html)

luvTooQuilt 09-24-2011 06:30 PM

I vote pillow case withe the late arrival...

GrannieAnnie 09-24-2011 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
My daughter has a nephew and the son of a very good friend who both have juvenile diabetes. This spring, on our way home from the Rio Grand Valley, we were at her home in Laredo and the annual walk for JD research was taking place. Her friend is in charge of fundraising for their local JD "chapter", so DD was also involved. I went along to help where I could. They had a T-shirt contest - each team participating had their own unique t-shirt design - and an entry from each team was on display for the contest. Me and my big mouth - I said -"If you could get me one of each of the shirts, I could make a t-shirt quilt that you could use for fund-raising next year." And so it happened, except I didn't receive one of each shirt, but did have about 8 I could work with and using backs from some of the shirts, I was able to put together a pretty nice quilt. Got a phone call earlier this week wondering if I could e-mail a pic. of the quilt since they may be using it for a silent auction in Nov. I was still quilting the quilt, but shouldn't be a problem to finish and get it sent.
ANOTHER PHONE CALL YESTERDAY - they loved the quilt, BUT - one of the shirts that WASN'T sent to me shoud have been in the quilt since the woman whose team that shirt belonged to would be insulted and offended if her shirt wasn't in the quilt. If they sent it to me, could I possibly add it or replace one of the other shirts with it? Yikes. If it wasn't for it being a fundraiser and hoping they can make a lot of $$ with it I would have said "No way!" But---- being a Mom, I said "Send it and I'll see what I can do." I haven't quilted the shits themselves yet, I'm thinking I can trim the center out of one of the volunteer shirts (not a team shirt) and leave a border of that shirt around the new shirt. I have quilted all the sashing around the shirt blocks, so I really can't take that out and can't think of what else to do. Any suggestions??

I'd tell them NO. They knew what you were doing. The mistake was theirs.

pinecone 09-24-2011 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Greenheron
Could you make a pillow sham out of the 'important' shirt?

I was thinking along that line too.... and smiling over the typo.

piney

craftymatt2 09-24-2011 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I like this Freudian slip myself!
"I haven't quilted the shits themselves yet"

I also agree with cjr..just fuse it over something else and quilt it down..the nerve of those who do not understand...

LOL

Ramona Byrd 09-24-2011 06:50 PM

[quote=Prism99]DO NOT allow them to put it in a silent auction! Require them to sell raffle tickets for it. This is because it is likely to raise *much* more money in a good raffle than in a silent auction, especially in the current economy.
--------------------------
I agree throughly!!! I've been to several of these, looked at the numbers on the pages and been appalled at the low bids that were finally accepted!!! All that fabric and time invested, the sewer could have saved herself a bundle by just donating money to the cause.

Anna.425 09-24-2011 07:39 PM

A pillow case, Best idea EVER!!

lindy 09-24-2011 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
I like this Freudian slip myself!
"I haven't quilted the shits themselves yet"

I also agree with cjr..just fuse it over something else and quilt it down..the nerve of those who do not understand...

Ditto=like the slip, too.

Willa 09-24-2011 08:51 PM

Can you have them call this person and explain to her that however it happened her shirt did not make it to you on time as you have already started quilting on it and you really don't want to take a chance of not getting it sewn in very well. Explain if they had gotten it to you before you started to quilt it you could have included it lots easier. Have them ask her if she would mind it being on a pillow case( which can be set on top of the quilt) or on the back with/on your quilting label. You could put it on some muslin and have your info going around it with made and quilted by, for charity, date. Just a thought.

danece 09-24-2011 09:38 PM

why not make a t-shirt pillow to go with the quilt, two prizes are always better

mosaicthinking 09-24-2011 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by orangeroom
I'd make a pillow with the straggler! It's not your fault that it wasn't given to you in a more timely manner.

Or a pillow case to match the rest of the set! You could then fold up the quilt and gift it in the pillowcase!

I wouldn't undo anything. But that's just me. Tough noogies!

I'm with orangeroom. You've made a wonderful contribution and that should be enough.