Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Grrrr - what we won't do for our kids!!

Blog Entries
    My daughter has a nephew and the son of a very good friend who both have juvenile diabetes. This spring, on our way home from the Rio Grand Valley, we were at her home in Laredo and the annual walk for JD research was taking place. Her friend is in charge of fundraising for their local JD "chapter", so DD was also involved. I went along to help where I could. They had a T-shirt contest - each team participating had their own unique t-shirt design - and an entry from each team was on display for the contest. Me and my big mouth - I said -"If you could get me one of each of the shirts, I could make a t-shirt quilt that you could use for fund-raising next year." And so it happened, except I didn't receive one of each shirt, but did have about 8 I could work with and using backs from some of the shirts, I was able to put together a pretty nice quilt. Got a phone call earlier this week wondering if I could e-mail a pic. of the quilt since they may be using it for a silent auction in Nov. I was still quilting the quilt, but shouldn't be a problem to finish and get it sent.
    ANOTHER PHONE CALL YESTERDAY - they loved the quilt, BUT - one of the shirts that WASN'T sent to me shoud have been in the quilt since the woman whose team that shirt belonged to would be insulted and offended if her shirt wasn't in the quilt. If they sent it to me, could I possibly add it or replace one of the other shirts with it? Yikes. If it wasn't for it being a fundraiser and hoping they can make a lot of $$ with it I would have said "No way!" But---- being a Mom, I said "Send it and I'll see what I can do." I haven't quilted the shits themselves yet, I'm thinking I can trim the center out of one of the volunteer shirts (not a team shirt) and leave a border of that shirt around the new shirt. I have quilted all the sashing around the shirt blocks, so I really can't take that out and can't think of what else to do. Any suggestions??

cjr
    Applique the new shirt over one of your filler blocks. Use only the logo. Since you are so far along they should be grateful for what you have done. It ios their fault you did not receive shirt in timely manner. Besides they have given you a rush job.
    Good luck. be sure and post here.

Sorry, I'm giggling here (3 lines up from the bottom of the post, 3 words in from the left)

Seriously, your idea of trimming out one shirt and replacing it with the "must have in" shirt sounds good. Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Blog Entries
    Arrrgh! I have not a clue! Good luck, you are a loving mother, that's for sure.

(I guess you're daughter doesn't understand how quilts are done?)

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I like this Freudian slip myself!
    "I haven't quilted the shits themselves yet"

I also agree with cjr..just fuse it over something else and quilt it down..the nerve of those who do not understand...

I know you are aggravated, but check your message. You haven't quilted the WHAT yet? Talk about a Freudian slip. lol

Banned
    Yikes, that's a lot of extra work. But that is probably what I'd do.

Quote Originally Posted by BeckyL
    I know you are aggravated, but check your message. You haven't quilted the WHAT yet? Talk about a Freudian slip. lol
    You were right in the word of choice. What a request but I would have done it too.

I had to laugh at the slip also. I agree fuse it over one of the other shirts. Your daughter is blessed to have a mom like you.

Power Poster
    Have you quilted the sashing right up to the block seam? If not, could you carefully snip the thread line along the t-shirt square only? Then take the old square to use as an exact template for the new one, cut it out and slip the 1/4 in. seam allowance under the sashing edge. Pin it all around and carefully hand stitch the seam lines all around again to the sashing. I would use the invisable ladder stitch to do this. Just an idea. What a great Mom you are to go above and beyond the call of duty.

Could you make a pillow sham out of the 'important' shirt?

Why not just put the new shirt into a pillowcase used to store the quilt or used as a pillow with the quilt and forget all the extra work?

I realize it might be difficult, but the person wasn't helping out by leaving it this late in the game. You don't want to reward their delay - do you?

Just a thought. I've been caught the same way before and it is not fun to have to stop everything and try to regroup.

Blog Entries
    Red face - chalk it up to a Freudian slip - even proofread my post and that slipped right past me. Good for some giggle I guess. The shirt has to get in the quilt somehow. My daughter does know how quilts go together - she's made a couple of baby quilts for friends, but not her cup of tea. But she does appreciate what I am doing.

They probably have no idea what they are asking you to do.

Blog Entries
    I'd make a pillow with the straggler! It's not your fault that it wasn't given to you in a more timely manner.

Or a pillow case to match the rest of the set! You could then fold up the quilt and gift it in the pillowcase!

I wouldn't undo anything. But that's just me. Tough noogies!

Well Tartan's idea sounds like it would make your quilt amazingly complete for the auction, but if I were doing it I'd have to send it to her to do because there is no way I could pull that off! So many of you are beyond talented! I would be going down the fusible appliqué road, skipping and making Fruedian slips all along the way! "She'd be insulted?" Then perhaps she should have made sure her group's shirt was in the batch sent to you? You are a blessed soul for helping raise money for these children. I've had several students with JD and they have to constantly monitor themselves. It's tough on them.

[quote=Bobbielinks]Sorry, I'm giggling here (3 lines up from the bottom of the post, 3 words in from the left)

Maybe that's the way she feels about the project now.
    :D :D

Blog Entries
    DO NOT allow them to put it in a silent auction! Require them to sell raffle tickets for it. This is because it is likely to raise *much* more money in a good raffle than in a silent auction, especially in the current economy. Unless they have deep-pocket money "angels" at the silent auction, you are very likely to be disappointed in how much is raised from all your hard work. There have been several threads about this in the past. In one case the charity was miffed that the quilter required them to raffle her donation rather than place it in the silent auction -- until it raised more money than all of the silent auction entries combined!

Of course, a raffle has to be legal in their state, so that has to be checked out.

Applique the new shirt over one of your filler blocks. AND dare them to complain! If it was so important that they have that shirt in it, it should have been sent to you in a timely manner.

Blog Entries
    Keep the misspell in the post. It fits right in with the Oh my goodness what did I agree to. LOL

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I vote pillow case withe the late arrival...

Quote Originally Posted by PMY in QCA-IL
    My daughter has a nephew and the son of a very good friend who both have juvenile diabetes. This spring, on our way home from the Rio Grand Valley, we were at her home in Laredo and the annual walk for JD research was taking place. Her friend is in charge of fundraising for their local JD "chapter", so DD was also involved. I went along to help where I could. They had a T-shirt contest - each team participating had their own unique t-shirt design - and an entry from each team was on display for the contest. Me and my big mouth - I said -"If you could get me one of each of the shirts, I could make a t-shirt quilt that you could use for fund-raising next year." And so it happened, except I didn't receive one of each shirt, but did have about 8 I could work with and using backs from some of the shirts, I was able to put together a pretty nice quilt. Got a phone call earlier this week wondering if I could e-mail a pic. of the quilt since they may be using it for a silent auction in Nov. I was still quilting the quilt, but shouldn't be a problem to finish and get it sent.
    ANOTHER PHONE CALL YESTERDAY - they loved the quilt, BUT - one of the shirts that WASN'T sent to me shoud have been in the quilt since the woman whose team that shirt belonged to would be insulted and offended if her shirt wasn't in the quilt. If they sent it to me, could I possibly add it or replace one of the other shirts with it? Yikes. If it wasn't for it being a fundraiser and hoping they can make a lot of $$ with it I would have said "No way!" But---- being a Mom, I said "Send it and I'll see what I can do." I haven't quilted the shits themselves yet, I'm thinking I can trim the center out of one of the volunteer shirts (not a team shirt) and leave a border of that shirt around the new shirt. I have quilted all the sashing around the shirt blocks, so I really can't take that out and can't think of what else to do. Any suggestions??

I'd tell them NO. They knew what you were doing. The mistake was theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenheron
    Could you make a pillow sham out of the 'important' shirt?
    I was thinking along that line too.... and smiling over the typo.

piney

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jaciqltznok
    I like this Freudian slip myself!
    "I haven't quilted the shits themselves yet"

I also agree with cjr..just fuse it over something else and quilt it down..the nerve of those who do not understand...

LOL

Blog Entries
    [quote=Prism99]DO NOT allow them to put it in a silent auction! Require them to sell raffle tickets for it. This is because it is likely to raise *much* more money in a good raffle than in a silent auction, especially in the current economy.
    --------------------------
    I agree throughly!!! I've been to several of these, looked at the numbers on the pages and been appalled at the low bids that were finally accepted!!! All that fabric and time invested, the sewer could have saved herself a bundle by just donating money to the cause.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast