Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   guttermann thread problem? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/guttermann-thread-problem-t74569.html)

kdid82 11-07-2010 09:10 AM

I have a Bernina machine and have a problem when I use Gutterman and Mettler in both the needle and bobbin, can only use it in one or the other.

Roberta 11-07-2010 09:14 AM

My LQS said I should use only Guttermans thread, I don't. I've bought one spool it sews about the same as my Connecting Threads spools. I have a Janome as well.

nikki128 11-07-2010 09:34 AM

I have a Bernina 1080 and a singer. Both machine's love Gutterman thread. I buy it on sale at Joanne amd use it almost exclusively because of the price. One day I will move to sulky and maderia.

shrabar 11-07-2010 10:13 AM

Terry I notice that you have a designer 1 did you get 2 throat plates with your machine I only got the zigzag plate I am looking for the straight stitch plate. Thanks Shrabar

mindybw 11-07-2010 10:22 AM

A lot of great tips here regarding spool wrap. For finicky thread, I try to make sure the bobbin and top are compatible (same weight or lighter weight bobbin) use a thread stand, or else my home-made thread feeder using a clean empty jar on the floor and a taped paper clip on the machine for an eye, then thread machine normally. I think this lets the thread untwist more, less breaks when sewing.

ORSunshineQuilter 11-07-2010 10:27 AM

Although I have become a Superior thread user, I have used Guterman thread on my Janomes for many years and have never encountered a problem. Usually when someone in a store tells me not to use a thread (if it is one they don't carry), I question their veracity. After all, they want to sell you THEIR brand of thread. I highly recommend Superior threads! Guterman is my #2 favorite

Kathleen charnell 11-07-2010 11:24 AM

I used to use Gutterman a lot, but lately it seems to have a lot of lint in my Bernina. I use M,ettler Aurifil, Superior, Sulky with no problems & hardly any lint

featherweight 11-07-2010 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by shrabar
Terry I notice that you have a designer 1 did you get 2 throat plates with your machine I only got the zigzag plate I am looking for the straight stitch plate. Thanks Shrabar

I bought one on Ebay when I had my Designer 1.

featherweight 11-07-2010 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by mindybw
A lot of great tips here regarding spool wrap. For finicky thread, I try to make sure the bobbin and top are compatible (same weight or lighter weight bobbin) use a thread stand, or else my home-made thread feeder using a clean empty jar on the floor and a taped paper clip on the machine for an eye, then thread machine normally. I think this lets the thread untwist more, less breaks when sewing.

That is what I do with Metalic thread on my embroidery machine. The further away from the thread guide the better it sews.

carhop 11-07-2010 11:36 AM

When I got my first serger and where I got from told my to use only pure cotton thread still use thecotton poly I asked the husquvarna repair man and he said it does not matter what you use just clean the machine often, the women at the shop when you walked in they would snicker in back of their hands and point to the thread and make you feel like you were durt under their feet , I took it to another store after that